Texas A&M women’s basketball holds competition with $10,000 prize

The Texas A&M women’s basketball team will hold a half-court shot competition with a $10,000 prize on Nov. 30 when it goes up against against No. 8 Duke.
Casey Doyle, athletic assistant director, explained that student attendance is very important to the success of the team.
“Student attendance is crucial at all home athletic events because the atmosphere they help to create can greatly impact the outcome of a game,” Doyle said. “We have seen this happen at several women’s basketball games at Reed Arena, including an overtime victory last season over now No. 1 South Carolina and the NCAA first and second rounds, where Texas A&M led attendance for all host sites.”
Doyle said the half-court shot and other game promotions are held to excite and engage fans, but it is the fans that help excite and motivate the women’s basketball team.
“If you ask any student on campus, being a part of the 12th Man is often named as one of the greatest traditions here at Texas A&M,” Doyle said. “For the student-athletes, having the opportunity to play in a packed stadium with their classmates and peers cheering them on can often times give them a much greater sense of accomplishment than wins or personal achievements.”
Rebekah Skinner, senior international studies major and member of the women’s basketball marketing team, said they have been preparing for promotions like this for months.
“As marketing student workers, we help create and implement a marketing plan, help with in-game promotions at sporting events, as well as represent Texas A&M athletics at community events,” Skinner said.
Skinner said the job of a student marketer doesn’t stop at just planning.
“Prior to games, we promote on campus each week, whether it be handing out flyers, giveaways, riding around on the golf carts or talking to students,” Skinner said. “We do everything we can think of to get the word out to the community about the athletic events going on that week.”
Kyle Nelson, senior sports management major and head student worker for women’s basketball, said for a big prize like this, they generally ask one of their sponsors to help with funding and the chances of someone winning are better than what most think.
“In the case of the half-court shot, Pepsi has agreed to pay the $10,000 if someone makes it,” Nelson said. “If you go on YouTube, there are a ton of successful half-court shots. If the person can center the ball up, and just get it to the hoop in terms of distance, then there is always a chance for a lucky bounce.”
Nelson will be responsible for picking the contestants and expects a large crowd.
“Not only are we doing an awesome halftime promotion, but fans will get to watch our team take on Duke,” Nelson said. “The game will be a great opportunity for our girls as they begin to shape up for SEC play.”
Doyle said the more exposure for the Aggie women’s basketball team, the better. However, they also want to showcase just how special the 12th Man is.
“Whether it is for football, tennis or women’s basketball, the 12th Man supports their teams from tip off until the final buzzer,” Doyle said.