Texas A&M women’s tennis continues to grow during Big 5 challenge

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett

Freshman Rylan McQuaid  celebrates winning a hard-fought point.

This week was a busy one for Texas A&M tennis.
Aggie women’s team has been participating in the Big 5 Challenge tournament in Fort Worth.
On Thursday, all of the freshman on the roster earned their first win. After their victories, A&M head coach Mark Weaver said seeing all the young players win their first matches was promising and exciting.
“Overall, it was a productive day for the Aggies with a lot of positives to draw on,” Weaver said to 12thman.com. “Having all four freshman win on their opening day in the maroon and white no doubt sticks out in my mind as the highlight of the day and is very encouraging for our team.”
A&M won four of six singles matches and then one of three in doubles matches. Weaver said the surfaces in which the games were on played an important role in the team’s success.
“I feel that we played at a level higher than Thursday,” Weavers told 12thman.com “The singles matches were played outdoors, which allowed us to play out the points a bit more with the slower conditions. The indoors were extremely quick, and it was more about who was able to get their first serves in and who took control of the points early.”
Following a day in which A&M went 3-3 in singles and 0-2 in doubles competition coach Mark Weaver said there was a lot of room for improvement and looks forward to making changes before the Aggies’ next tournament.
“The doubles didn’t go quite the way we would have liked, but we no doubt learned and picked up on some things going forward that will help us the next time we play a good indoor team like the opponents we faced today.”
The Aggie women’s next challenge will come October 5 at the SMU invitational in Dallas.