The honeymoon is over

Mark Doré — THE BATTALION

What a turnaround. What a fall from grace. What a total and utter collapse.
You can spin this loss a lot of ways. You could say we played our third consecutive top-five team. You could say it was on the road, in front of 100,000 fans. You could say we’re a young team that just isn’t quite there yet. And you’re not going to sell me any of that.
This wasn’t just a loss — this was an exposure. An implosion. An embarrassment.
It’s one thing to get beat by a better team, and it’s another thing to not even show up. Teams get blown out all the time, but losing 59-0? We’re not an FCS team. Those types of things don’t happen.
Where to even start with this team? How about the offense, which is supposed to be our strength, right? Chew on this — A&M hasn’t scored a meaningful touchdown in over eight quarters. Don’t talk to me about garbage-time against Ole Miss. This “high, powered offense” has been nonexistent.
Honestly, until this week I thought the defense was improving just a tiny bit every week. Even at the start of the game, I thought holding Bama to a field goal was a big victory. I guess Deshazor Everrett’s dropped pick-six was an omen. It shouldn’t surprise me that when you get no help on the other side of the ball, eventually it’s demoralizing.
So what’s the fix? I wish I knew. Unfortunately, this team’s issues are deep. Beyond football if you ask me. A bye week is great, but I think A&M needs a whole offseason to get it together. And maybe then some. This kind of loss is a game-changer, and it can get a whole lot worse before it gets better. Yeah I know, #WRTS right? But what recruit wants to play on a team that can’t even be competitive with the top teams in its own division?
We gave Kevin Sumlin $5 million a year and the onus is on him to turn this thing around. What’s worrisome is he seemed at just as much of a loss as the Aggie fanbase during his post-game press conference. I love “Coach Cool” as much as anybody, but he’s got a lot of tough decisions to make in the next couple of months.
So how will this season end? I say 7-5 best-case scenario. My belief in this team is through until they give me a reason to feel otherwise.
Patrick Crank is a telecommunication and media studies senior and football editor for The Battalion.