Texas A&M infielder Rylen Wiggins (2) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Texas at the Austin Super Regional at Red and Charline McCombs Field in Austin, Texas, on Sunday, May 26, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Aggies’ season ends with heartbreaking loss to Longhorns

Sharper play in the sixth innings of Texas A&M softball’s NCAA Super Regional series with No. 1 Texas may have been the difference between...

Three A&M football players arrested

Three Texas A&M football players were arrested late Friday night, according to a College Station Police Department significant activity report.
Those arrested include senior defensive lineman Gavin Stansbury, senior safety Howard Matthews and sophomore wide receiver Edward Pope. All three men were arrested due to outstanding warrants on various charges.
Stansbury was arrested on an assault charge, while Matthews was arrested on charges of speeding, failure to exhibit a driver’s license and failure to appear.
According to a news release from College Station public information officer Lt. Chuck Fleegar, the trio was pulled over at 2050 Texas Ave. – a local Freebirds burrito shop – around midnight for displaying expired registration.
Pope, the driver of the 2008 Pontiac, was arrested after a driver’s license check revealed an active warrant for his arrest, according to the release. Pope then requested that his vehicle be released to Stansbury or Howard in lieu of towing his vehicle. Subsequent checks of Stansbury’s and Howard’s licenses revealed active warrants for both players, and all three were taken into custody.
Pope was arrested at 11:40 p.m. on a charge of failure to appear. Matthews and Stansbury were arrested at 12:05 and 12:06 a.m., respectively.
Alan Cannon, A&M associate athletic director for media relations, said the athletic department is looking into the matter before releasing an official statement.