Three takeaways from A&M’s win over Binghamton

Melton and the Aggies were kept at bay on Friday.

A&M’s regional opening win over Binghamton had just about everything imaginable – from broken catchers masks to over spilling drama.
The Aggies managed to escape the America East Champion by a 4-2 score but there was a lot left to be desired from an offensive standpoint.
Here are three takeaways from A&M’s 4-2 win over Binghamton:
(1) Holy Moroney art thou…
The senior Jonathan Moroney used to scrap and claw for what little playing time he could manage. Now, all that work and waiting is paying off. Moroney went 3-for-3 on Friday with a big two-run homer that put A&M’s first runs on the board. Since beginning the SEC Tournament, Moroney is 11-for-22 from the plate with six RBI. If the Aggie bats cannot keep their hot streak up, the brunt of the load may fall on Moroney, especially hitting in the six-hole. He will be a player to watch throughout the regional.  
(2) Andrew Vinson dims the lights and Mark Ecker shuts them off
Vinson and Ecker have been A&M’s most consistent relievers and they showed that once again Friday night. The senior Vinson came on in a huge situation later in the game Friday night with two on and punched out two batters to end the Binghamton threat. He tossed 2 2/3 innings of one-hit baseball while striking out six. Meanwhile, Ecker came on in the ninth and shut the door to earn the save, allowing one hit while striking out the final batter looking. These two are a shutdown duo for A&M and will be relied on heavily this postseason.
(3) But, that duo needs a little help.
Everyone knows of the Aggies offensive prowess. Friday, the Aggies looked a bit uncharacteristic, as A&M stranded 12 runners on base and went 1-for-10 from the plate with runners in scoring position. The Aggie offense is good, so there should be no worries of a sudden cold snap. However, consistently playing two run games is going to wear down the duo of Ecker and Vinson. The Aggie bats need to break open a bit more offensively in order to save their two best arms. They will be pitching in close games but they cannot carry the team. A&M has one of the nation’s best bullpens but they need some more run production so they do not exhaust their best duo too early in the Regional.