Justin Chen, Sports Writer • May 12, 2024

It’s been a rough couple of weeks for Texas A&M baseball. Dominant for most of the season, the Aggies showed signs of weakness in their...

Top-ranked baseball hosts hot Arkansas Razorbacks

Vanessa Pena

Pitcher Grayson Long will pitch Game 1 against Arkansas on Friday night. 

Texas A&M has not dropped an SEC weekend series all season, and this weekend the Aggies’ full attention will be on the Arkansas Razorbacks, a team that is starting to come together.

A&M and Arkansas are the only two teams in the SEC to have won each of their last three conference series. Arkansas (22-16, 7-8 SEC) won its last series at Kentucky last weekend, and come in on a three-game winning streak.

Andrew Benintendi is the Razorback leader in the lineup, accumulating 41 RBIs with a .356 average and 14 home runs to his name. He is also a threat when on the bases, going 15-for-18 in steal attempts. Tyler Spoon is another hitter to keep an eye on, with 32 RBIs and four home runs. The combination of Spoon and Benintendi are hitting .464 with 23 RBIs in April.

For the Aggies (34-3, 11-3 SEC), Logan Taylor has been one of the main offensive superstars. On Wednesday, Taylor’s RBI single in the seventh inning led the team past Abilene Christian. He has racked up 32 RBIs while leading the team with eight home runs. Nick Banks has also been a huge part of the Aggie offense. Even though his 13-game hit streak came to an end on Wednesday, Banks has a team-leading .407 average.

The Aggie pitching staff has been one of the nations best all season, but this weekend will see a shift, with reliever Ryan Hendrix in the rotation for the first time this season.

Friday night, Aggie ace Grayson Long will be on the mound. In his last start, Long was outstanding. He worked seven innings, surrendering one unearned run on only three hits to earn his seventh win of the season against Mississippi State last Friday evening. He leads the team with a 2.12 ERA this year, and also leads the team in strikeouts (60). Arkansas will send out Trey Killian. First pitch will be at 6:35 p.m.

On the mound for A&M Saturday, Ryan Hendrix will make his first start. This year, Hendrix has worked out of the bullpen, and has been a wrecking ball. In 14 appearances so far, he surrendered his first earned run of the season over the weekend against Mississippi State. He has garnered a 0.42 ERA this year and has a 3-0 record. He will face off against Razorback starter Dominic Taccolini. The game will air on ESPNU at 7:30 p.m.
In the series finale Sunday, A&M will turn to Matt Kent. In his last outing, Kent lasted 3 1/3 innings, allowing three runs, one earned, on nine hits in the win over Mississippi State. He has posted a 6-0 record this year, while being second on the team in strikeouts, with 43 this year. For Arkansas, Keaton McKinney will get the nod on the mound. Game time set for 3:05 p.m.