Track accumulates five wins before inclement weather halts meet

The Texas A&M track and field team was able to notch five victories in Waco at the Michael Johnson Classic before inclement weather converged on the facilities and led to a premature end to the evening’s running session. Events that remained uncontested due to the weather include the men and women’s 200 m, the women’s 5000 m, and both 4×400 relays. Some final results in the field events were also affected.

The No. 1 Aggie team wins were generated by Deon Lendore (men’s 400 m), Jennifer Madu (women’s 100 m), Brea Garrett (women’s hammer), Ioannis Kyriazis (javelin) and the women’s 4×100 relay team.

Lendore was able to come out on top in an open 400 field that included Brazilian nationals Henderson Estefani and Hugo Souza. Lendore’s winning time of 45.14 seconds improved upon his strong outdoor debut of 45.18 a week ago at the Sun Angel Classic.

Madu took first in a tightly contested women’s 100 m with a time of 11.48 (0.8 wind), edging out Caitland Smith of the University of Texas by one tenth of a second. Madu was also a part of the first place women’s 4×100 relay team, where she was joined by teammates Ashton Purvis, Kamaria Brown and Aaliyah Brown. The Aggie women were able to flip the script on the Texas squad who got the best of them at the Texas Relays by taking the top spot with a time of 43.61.

Garrett won the women’s hammer toss with a mark of 190 feet, 11 inches.  That toss is the 10th best performance in school history. Garrett also took second in the women’s shotput, where she finished five inches short of Baylor’s Cion Hicks.

Kyriazis continued to improve on what has been a very strong freshman debut in the javelin with a career best effort of 248 feet, 6 inches. Kyriazis’ mark was 30 feet better than anyone in the field and bolstered his standing as the No. 3 performer ins school history. He is also No. 3 on this year’s world junior list and No. 1 among fellow NCAA freshmen.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania will be the next location for men’s and women’s track as they will compete in the Penn Relay Carnival starting Thursday.