Texas A&M Aggies guard Tyrece Radford (23) blocks Arkansas Razorbacks guard Tramon Mark (12) during Texas A&M’s game against Arkansas on Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2024, at Reed Arena. (Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
Free falling
Jace LaViolette (17) an Head Coach Jim Schlossnagle celebrating a home run during Texas A&Ms game against UIW on Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
GALLERY: Baseball vs. UIW
Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) catches a pop fly during Texas A&M’s game against McNeese on Sunday, Feb. 18, 2024 at Blue Bell Park. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Free falling
GALLERY: Baseball vs. UIW

Track teams find success at Texas Relays

After four days of the 87th Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays, Texas A&M accumulated seven victories in front of a total attendance of 39,985 at Mike A. Myers Stadium. Shelbi Vaughan broke her own school record in women’s discus while setting leading marks on a collegiate and national level.
Vaughan’s victory is her sixth win at the Texas Relays over the past four seasons. By throwing a mark of 198 feet and 10 inches, she toppled the current school record of 193-4. The distance ties Vaughan for No. 10 on the U.S. collegian all-time list.
“It was really exciting to throw a PR and school record, I was just hoping to do better than last weekend (182-10) since I wasn’t happy with that,” Vaughan said. “I was a little hesitant because last year I was here in May with a hurt back and threw three fouls. I threw from the same ring today, so I just put the nerves behind me and went out and threw a good one.”
The Aggie men’s 4×200 won the relay for the third-consecutive year, clocking in at a world-leading time of 1:20.78. The relay team included Michael Bryan, Prezel Hardy Jr., Shavez Hart and Carlyle Roudette.
Wayne Davis II edged out Florida’s Eddie Lovett to win the 110 hurdle title. Both clocked in at 13.45, but after taking the time to 1000ths of a second, Davis had the victory, 13.442 to 13.448. This was Davis’ first win ever at the Texas Relays due to an injury last season.
“This is my first win ever at the Texas Relays,” Davis said. “I’m really happy about it, especially since I’m way ahead of where I was at this time last year. I feel blessed and I’m thankful.”
Other A&M wins included a first-ever victory in the sprint medley relay for the women, and a win in the triple jump by LaQue Moen-Davis with a collegiate leading distance of 43-4.25.
Texas prevailed in a close race with A&M in the women’s 4×200 relay with times of 1:31.58 and 1:31.82, respectively.
The Aggie foursome, including Hardy Jr., Hart, Bryan and Deon Lendore hoped to complete a sweep of the 4×100 and 4×200 but were edged out by .01 seconds by Florida who would claim the victory.
“Overall we had a great Texas Relays,” said Texas A&M head coach Pat Henry. “We set a school record in the 4×100 with a 38.30. In all my years of coaching I’ve never had a relay run that fast this early in the season. But we get out-leaned at the line by Florida.”