Junior P Emily Kennedy (11) pitches the ball during the Aggie softball teams Maroon & White game on Friday, Oct. 27, 2023 at Davis Diamond (Katelynn Ivy/The Battalion).
A&M advances to Super Regionals with run-rule victory over Texas State

When Texas State softball senior RHP Jessica Mullins and Texas A&M junior LHP Emiley Kennedy each started Sunday’s Bryan-College Station...

True freshman finds rhythm on tennis court

When Harrison Adams graduated from high school last June, he had the rare opportunity of attending any university in the country. Nationally ranked as the No. 1 tennis player in the 2013 graduating class, Adams, instead of choosing a collegiate power in his sport, decided upon a university a few hours north of his hometown Texas A&M.
Signing with the Aggies in the eleventh hour, Adams has already found his niche on the A&M roster. The true freshman recalled his choice to come to College Station, praising his coaches and older teammates for their experience and proficiency.
It was a last minute decision to come to A&M, Adams said. The rest of the guys on the team really helped me, as far as my mentality, getting me ready for college tennis because obviously theyre more experienced. Theyve really gotten me prepared since day one of the season. We just train hard and it translates into the results.
Those results have come in the form of multiple victories for Adams and the No. 14 ranked A&M tennis program. Currently, the freshman holds the second best individual record on the team at 18-9 and, with fellow freshman partner Shane Vinsant, boasts a commanding 25-8 doubles tally.
According to head coach Steve Denton, Adamss aptitude on the court goes beyond his talent, as his hard work and sacrifice has translated into a volatile style of play difficult to match by opposing challengers.
Hes a very explosive player and has the ability to really play at a high level, Denton said. In some of the matches hes really played much more mature than his freshman age. Hes got a big game and when hes hot hes capable of beating anybody in the country.
Encouraged by his father and mother, both of whom played tennis at the collegiate level, Adams picked up the sport at the young age of three. As a freshman at New Braunfels High School he excelled on the court, leading his team to a Texas 5A State Championship and a Mixed Doubles State Title with his sister, Samantha.
Representing the state of Texas at the U.S. Tennis Association National Tournament in 2011, Adams helped his team to a championship, scoring an undefeated record at the event. At the USTA Mens Futures Tournament later that year, Adams paired with Vinsant to earn a doubles title, a major influence in his decision to attend A&M.
Following his arrival on campus, Adams said he and Denton clicked, a factor that has boosted his performance this season.
Hes really good at figuring out each player as an individual, Adams said. He doesnt try to coach each player the same. Hes really adapted to my game and Ive adapted to his coaching style. Im playing well and he understands me and thats all you can ask for from a coach.
Amongst his teammates, Adams has also begun to create strong relationships, both as a player and a friend. Sophomore Jordan Szabo said Adams not only is relaxed and sociable off the court, but helps him build his own game when competing on it.
Hes a great guy, a really loyal teammate, Szabo said. I think hes going to have a really good college career and I think hes going to take his game to pro ranks.
Hes a really tough player for me to play. When I play him, its really challenging for me and I really benefit from practicing with him.
When asked about his possible aspirations to make his way into the professional tennis arena, Adams was enthusiastic about having the opportunity sometime in the future.
Thats definitely what I want to do, Adams said. Theres no better job than traveling around the world playing a sport that you love. So its definitely what I want to do.