Turnovers prove costly in A&M’s 67-63 loss to LSU

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

Junior center Khaalia Hillsman led the Aggies in scoring with 24 points in their loss to LSU Thursday. 

Texas A&M could not solve its turnover problem, as the Aggies’ (19-7, 9-4) 23 giveaways proved costly in a 67-63 loss to LSU (18-8, 7-6 SEC) in Baton Rouge Thursday night.

The Aggies tried to find an answer in Khaalia Hillsman, who was dominant down low with a game-high 24 points (12-of-17 shooting). Hillsman, however, was unable to convert one last basket down 63-61 with 10 seconds left in the game and the Tigers came down with the rebound, sinking two free throws at the other end to seal the win.

A&M shot 55 percent from the field on the night, but its 23 turnovers – second-most this season – led to 25 LSU points. The loss also snapped A&M’s four-game winning streak and kept the Aggies from keeping their outright third place in the conference standings (tied with Kentucky).

The Tigers had four players in double-figures, led by Raigyne Moncrief, who scored 23 points. Alexis Hyder played a lead role for LSU as well, scoring 12 points while nabbing a team-high 9 rebounds.

It was a frustrating night for Anriel Howard, who fouled out with over four minutes left in the game. Howard was limited to just four points and five rebounds – each below her season averages. Her performance snapped six straight games of 10-plus rebounds.

A&M started the second half on a 9-0 run to retake a 38-34 lead with 6:46 left in the third quarter, maintaining its advantage at 44-40 with 3:57 to go. LSU found a spark though, countering with a 7-0 run to reclaim the lead – one it would never relinquish.

The Aggies ended the third quarter by going nearly four minutes without a field goal, and the Tigers led 49-46 heading to the final period.

A&M shot 57 percent in the first half, but its 12 turnovers hindered the Aggies and led to LSU holding a 34-29 advantage at the break.

The Aggies led 25-24 at the 5:45 mark of the second quarter, but the Tigers began to turn it on. LSU proceeded on an 8-0 run and held A&M without a field goal for five and a half minutes to build their lead to 32-25 – the Tiger’s largest advantage of the game.

The first quarter was sloppy on both sides with the two teams combining for 13 turnovers. A&M was 8-of-9 (89 percent) from the field in the opening period, but the Aggies’ eight turnovers led to eight Tiger points and a slim 16-14 A&M lead after the first frame.
A&M returns to action this Sunday when it hosts No. 3 Mississippi State at 4:00 p.m.