Justin Chen, Sports Writer • May 12, 2024

It’s been a rough couple of weeks for Texas A&M baseball. Dominant for most of the season, the Aggies showed signs of weakness in their...

Unbeaten A&M gets Penn State

It’s been 17 innings since a run was tallied on the visitor’s side of the Olsen Field scoreboard. The Aggies, meanwhile, have put up 47 runs in just four games.
Texas A&M returns to Olsen Field Friday night in the first of three home games taking place this weekend against Penn State.
The No. 17 Aggies (4-0) boast a 7-1 all-time series record against Penn State, the first Big Ten opponent to come to Blue Bell Park since Michigan State in 2012.
Penn State (0-3) is coming into the game after being swept by Elon last weekend. Starting outfielder Ryan Richter leads the Nittany Lions offensively, with a batting average of .417, a home run and two RBIs. He also legged out two doubles in the opening weekend. Jim Haley also chips in with the bat, batting .400 on the year with six RBIs.
As far as the offense is concerned for A&M, the bats will look to stay hot against Penn State. Ronnie Gideon is batting .421 with two home runs and 11 RBIs for the Aggies. Mitchell Nau has one of the hottest bats in the league, batting .583 with three doubles and six RBI.
Friday night, junior AJ Minter will be on the mound for the Aggies. In his last appearance, Minter pitched for five innings, and allowed two unearned runs while striking out seven batters. Penn State will send out Nick Hedge.
Junior Grayson Long will make his second start Saturday for the Aggies. Long comes into the game as the Aggies’ active leader in wins (10), innings pitched (139) and strikeouts (98). The Nittany Lions will send freshman Nick Distasio to the mound.
Sunday, A&M will start sophomore Matt Kent against Penn State freshman Taylor Lehman.
If the Aggies sweep again this weekend, they will be 7-0 for the first time since 2006.
A&M and Penn State will begin their series at 6:35 p.m. Friday. First pitch Saturday is at 2:05 p.m., while Sunday’s game will begin at 1:05 p.m.