Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Light Middleweight boxers Francis Cristal and Frank Chiu throw crosses during Farmers Fight Night on Thursday, April 4th, 2024, at Reed Arena.
‘One day there’s going to be a ring in the middle of Kyle Field’
Zoe May, Editor in Chief • April 11, 2024

“Throw the 1, follow with the 2!” “Keep your hands up!” “Tie him up!” It was the sixth fight of the night. The crowd was either...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Undefeated city-league coed rec team Ball Busters drops final game of season

Photo by Sara Lyon, JOUR 359 Contributor.
Serbando Balderas Huerta spikes for Ball Busters against Innovative during the competitive CS City rec league game Oct. 10 at Lincoln Rec Center in College Station.

The Ball Busters, one of College Station’s coed competitive adult rec volleyball teams, fell to Innovative on Tuesday, Oct. 10, at the Lincoln Recreation Center.
Starting strong, the three-man, three-woman team won its first set, 25-19. It took multiple long rallies to win. The group has played together since the summer after meeting during open gym play, and while some members are Texas A&M students, others are community residents. Players said they liked both the age mix and the “chill” environment compared to A&M rec sports.
As the second set began, Innovative stepped up its game with an ace to lead with a score of 12-8. Midway through Set 2, Ball Busters subbed in one of its main hitters, forensic investigative science senior Emily Linhart, who tied the game at 14 with a strong spike across the net. Ball Busters then took a 15-14 lead as Innovative missed blocking a hit.
Ball Busters’ lead was short-lived, as Innovative had multiple serves that pushed it to gain the upper hand at 17-16. The second set continued with multiple back-and-forth leads, but in the end, Ball Busters lost the set with a score of 25-21.
With 13 minutes left to play, Ball Busters and Innovative entered into a tiebreaking last set. Once again, the score was neck and neck with both teams showing hustle and making strong saves. It didn’t come down to who would win the set, but instead, who would win against the time. As the clock ran out, Ball Busters ended with a tough 20-18 loss.
“Even if we lose this game, we are still in first place,” College Station resident Liddie Smith said. “We just need to focus on having fun as the playoffs approach.”
Many of the Ball Busters’ players said they had mixed feelings over the game.
“I’m very upset and unhappy with our performance for today,” Linhart, one of the youngest players on the team, said. “It still doesn’t matter because we were undefeated, and now we only have one loss compared to 20 wins.”
Ball Busters now has a record of 20-1 as it approaches the playoffs on Oct. 24 at the Lincoln Rec Center. The City of College Station has five teams in the competitive coed rec volleyball league that play every Tuesday and Thursday night at the Lincoln Rec Center. All teams consist of three men and three women on the court from ages 18 to 99, according to rectrac.cstx.gov.
Sara Lyon is a agricultrual leadership and development junior and contributed this from the course JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.