View from the other sideline: Mississippi State

The Battalion: Is this finally the year for Mississippi State to break out?
Morgan: 2012 was the last time this [kind of hype] happened and it was more a product of a really weak schedule, as opposed to the team being really good. Just watching how the team has grown since then and how they treat the expectations now is really special. If it’s not the year, then it’s certainly closer than it ever has been.
The Battalion: How much of a game-changer is quarterback Dak Prescott?
Morgan: Well, he’s a Heisman candidate. He’s third or fourth in the Heisman odds right now. When you have a guy like that, it makes things cool. The team believes that, the fans believe that. There’s just a sense when he walks onto the field that that play could go for a touchdown. Even more so than his talent is just his leadership and getting people to believe in him. That’s one of his bigger characteristics.
The Battalion: What can travelling Aggies except of Starkville on game day?
Morgan: Hopefully hospitality, that would be the biggest thing. Mississippi State is really big on trying to treat the opponent’s fans with respect. I think Aggies will be really surprised with the atmosphere in Starkville if its their first time here. It’s really overshadowed by The Grove at Ole Miss, but The Junction is, in my opinion, top-tier of any tailgating spot in the country.
The Battalion: Where did the cowbells come from?
Morgan: Years ago, Mississippi State was down when a cow wandered onto the field. Then Mississippi State mounted a huge come back to win and since then the cowbell has been the big tradition for Mississippi State. The fans and the team really embrace it. Per SEC rules, we’re only supposed to ring it in between plays and quarters – never when the quarterback is about to snap the ball. Honestly, the rules aren’t really followed.
The Battalion: What is your prediction for the game?
Morgan: I’m going to predict a Bulldog win. I think the offensive attack of Mississppi State will be a lot for A&M to handle. Arkansas did a good job of controlling the line of scrimmage, which I feel like Mississippi State can duplicate, but honestly, it’s going to come down to if Mississippi State can stop the pass at all. We all know how great Kenny Hill has been throwing the football this year, so it will come down to that. But, I think Mississippi State will be victorious at home.