Texas A&M guard Wade Taylor IV (4) reacts after Texas A&M’s game against South Carolina on Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2024, at Reed Arena. (Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
A losing game
Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) reacts after hitting a home run during Texas A&M’s game against Lamar on Tuesday, Feb. 27, 2024 at Blue Bell Park. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
A Lamar-velous night
Rylen Wiggins (2) smiling after earning a homerun during Texas A&Ms game against Sam Houston State on Tuesday, Feb. 27, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Bye bye Bearkats
A losing game
Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) and outfielder Hayden Schott (5) react react during Texas A&M’s game against Lamar on Tuesday, Feb. 27, 2024 at Blue Bell Park. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
GALLERY: Baseball vs. Lamar
A Lamar-velous night
Bye bye Bearkats

View from the other sideline: Ole Miss

Tyler Stafford, sports editor for The Battalion, interviewed Dylan Rubino, sports editor for the The Daily Mississippian, the Ole Miss student newspaper.
How big was beating Alabama?
The win against Alabama was the biggest win for the program in the past decade. There were many questions surrounding Ole Miss coming into the game and whether the Rebels could even hang with Alabama. Those questions were put to bed. It was the first win against Alabama since 2003 in Eli Manning’s senior year. The football program and the rest of the university is proud to say that Ole Miss is a top 5 team in the country.
Is Ole Miss likely to be a top 5 team and a threat in the SEC West?
The win against Alabama definitely solidifies Ole Miss as a true top 5 team in the country. The Landshark defense proves to be the best in the country, giving up only three touchdowns through the first five games, 11 better than last year through five games. Quarterback Bo Wallace played the best game of his career against Alabama, even though the stats didn’t show it. The running game needs improvement, but hopefully the Rebels can improve that against A&M.
What are the expectations for the Rebels this season?
Expectations are sky high for Ole Miss the rest of the season. Beating Alabama proves Ole Miss can hang with anyone, but a lot of things need to steer in the right direction for the Rebels. The defense needs to continue their stellar play and the offense needs to limit turnovers if the Rebels want to continue to contend in the SEC. The success of Mississippi State helps give the Magnolia state the exposure that both football programs deserve. Their toughest road test this season comes Saturday at A&M, but the rest of the tough games are at home, with Auburn and Mississippi State in Oxford.
How do students at Ole Miss view A&M?
At first, Ole Miss fans were skeptical about both Texas A&M and Missouri joining the SEC. When you think of the SEC, fans typically don’t think about Missouri and Texas being SEC states. That all changed with the recent run of success by both programs. A&M is now big brother to the Texas Longhorns and Missouri made their run to the SEC championship game last season. The lookout at both programs has done a complete 180 and the conference could not be more proud to have both.
What is your prediction for the game?
Even with the loss to Mississippi State, Texas A&M is a big trap game for Ole Miss. The Rebels could still have the Alabama win in the back of their minds and lose focus on the task at hand. I don’t sense that happening this game. The journey will not stop in College Station, it will only continue. The high octane Aggie offense and quarterback Kenny Hill will cause some problems, but the Rebel defense will not break and put the game away. Ole Miss 34, Texas A&M 21.