Texas A&Ms attendance for the Alabama game was at 108,101 fans ranking it at the third largest game in Kyle Field history.(Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
‘The Mexican 12th Man’

Growing up in the hills of Monterrey, Mexico, Pedro and Carlos Luna were surrounded by soccer.  Clad in the gold and blue of Tigres UANL,...

Walker’s night proves too much for Alabama

Cody Franklin – THE BATTALION

Courtney Walker had a career-high 27 points during Monday’s game. 

Behind a career-high 27 points from Courtney Walker, the Texas A&M women’s basketball team defeated Alabama 70-49 Monday night in Reed Arena.
With 1,325 points, Walker is now the No. 9 all-time scorer at A&M.
“The thing I focus on more than how many I score is on percentages, being able to be efficient from the floor,” Walker said. “I think last game I was six for 18, today I was 13 for 20, so I’m much more proud of it today than the other day.”
Junior Jordan Jones moved up in the Aggie record books as well, dishing out 10 assists Monday night to move to fourth place all-time with 508.
Courtney Williams and Chelsea Jennings finished in double-digit scoring with 13 and 10, respectively.
Alabama (13-14, 2-10 SEC) held its own for much of the opening period, but A&M’s 10-2 run to close out the first half allowed the Aggies to go into the locker room up 31-19. A&M made 34-of-65 field goals (52 percent).
The Crimson Tide clawed back to within 10 in the second half, but 11 straight points by the Aggies put the game out of reach.
Alabama head coach Kristy Curry said Williams and Walker keyed the run that distanced the Aggies.
“I think the Courtneys did a great job being more active away from the basketball,” Curry said. “They were able to find the seams and were then able to knock down some jump shots. Credit those guys.”
With the win, No. 15 A&M (20-6) has recorded its 10th consecutive 20-win season, the 15th in school history. Head coach Gary Blair has 24 seasons with at least 20 wins in his career.
The Aggies have won 16 straight games at Reed Arena, with 28 of their last 30 played at home.
A&M returns to action Thursday night when it travels to Lexington to face the Kentucky Wildcats.