Senior INF Rylen Wiggins (2) high fives Senior INF Trinity Cannon (6) before Texas A&Ms game against UTSA on Feb. 25, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)
Storm the Beach
Storm the Beach

Williams makes season debut in blowout

Vanessa Peña — THE BATTALION

Junior forward Courtney Williams tallied six point off the bench in her first action after a four-game suspension.

In the return of junior forward Courtney Williams, No. 7 Texas A&M took care of business Monday night with a 59-41 victory over Prairie View A&M at Reed Arena.
Williams’ violation of team policy ruled her out of the first four contests. Coming off the bench, the 2013-14 second-leading scorer for the Aggies (5-0) played 18 minutes and accumulated six points and seven rebounds.
Prairie View A&M (0-3) kept the game even for the opening 15 minutes. A&M then held the Lady Panthers scoreless for nearly nine minutes for a 20-0 surge by the Aggies to make it 39-21.
By notching its 70th consecutive victory over an unranked opponent, A&M starts the season 5-0 for the fifth time in seven years.
After becoming the 26th Aggie to score 1,000 career points on Nov. 19, junior guard Courtney Walker led her team Monday with 10.
A&M head coach Gary Blair needs just 23 more wins to become the 15th coach with 700 Division I victories. He and the Aggies will have a chance to put a dent in that when they next hit the hardwood at 7 p.m. Friday against McNeese State.