Win nets best start for A&M since 1989

Sarah Lane — THE BATTALION
Catcher Mitchell Nau, who leads the team in batting average, celebrates during the A&M win Tuesday
Sarah Lane — THE BATTALION Catcher Mitchell Nau, who leads the team in batting average, celebrates during the A&M win Tuesday

Texas A&M protected its undefeated record in the friendly confines of Olsen Field on Tuesday night as the No. 7 Aggies defeated the UT Pan-American Broncs 4-1.
It is the best start to the season for A&M since the 1989 team started 26-0.
“We are just glad to get a win,” Mitchell Nau said. “We keep finding a way to win, and that is all that really matters to us.”
Texas A&M (17-0) struck quick. In the first inning, A&M scored two runs off RBIs from Hunter Melton and Nick Banks to give the Aggies a 2-0 advantage. After another RBI from Michael Barash, A&M led 3-1 after five innings of play. Banks was 2-for-3 on the day with 2 RBIs. A&M added insurance in the seventh inning with an RBI from Banks to extend the Aggie advantage to 4-1 after seven.
A&M had plenty of chances to blow the game open, but the ball just did not land in its favor on a few instances.
“We are striking the ball well,” Said Nau. “You don’t get some of those breaks and hits you probably should have, but the baseball gods pay you back. Any way we can come away with a win is a good night for us.”
In the fifth inning, J.B. Moss gunned down a UTPA runner attempting to score from second on a single to help the Aggies preserve their two-run lead. It was one of the biggest plays of the game according to A&M head coach Rob Childress.
“It was a huge momentum play,” Childress said. “That was one thing that kind of kept the momentum in our dugout. Just a huge momentum and energy play for our team.”
The Aggies also had a solid night on the mound from freshman Turner Larkins and then great help from the bullpen behind him. Larkins only went 3 1/3 innings, but was on a pitch count limit because he will be the starter on Sunday afternoon against Auburn, according to Childress.
Simonds came on in relief in the fourth and from there, effectively shut down the UTPA attack. He worked 2 1/3 innings of scoreless relief, which now pushes his scoreless streak up to 13 2/3 innings. Simonds combined with Ty Schlottman and Andrew Vinson to hold UTPA scoreless for the remainder of the game. Through that stretch, they allowed only four hits. Mark Ecker came on to record his third save of the season in the ninth to end the game.
“We went to our guys and they all did a great job,” Childress said about his bullpen. “You can’t say enough about those four guys tonight.”
The second game of the short mid-week series will take place on Wednesday afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 3:05 pm.