Texas A&Ms attendance for the Alabama game was at 108,101 fans ranking it at the third largest game in Kyle Field history.(Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
‘The Mexican 12th Man’

Growing up in the hills of Monterrey, Mexico, Pedro and Carlos Luna were surrounded by soccer.  Clad in the gold and blue of Tigres UANL,...

Winning streak ends for AMC men’s softball

Photo by Photo by Curtis Michalec, JOUR 359.

AMC at batt Oct. 4 at Penberthy Fields against Glizzy Gobblers in the men’s competitive softball league.

Texas A&M’s undefeated rec softball team, AMC, suffered an upset in the men’s competitive softball league to the previously winless Glizzy Gobblers on Wednesday, Oct. 4, at Penberthy Rec Sports Complex.
The previously 2-0 AMC gave up three runs in the top of the first inning, but responded in the bottom of the frame with a line drive to right field to score one, making it 3-1, Gobblers. The Gobblers tacked on two more runs to make it 5-1 Gobblers at the top of the second.
In the bottom of the fourth, business sophomore Jack Meyer hit an inside-the-park home run, making it 5-2 Gobblers and bringing energy back to the AMC dugout. Later in the fourth, with a man on second, a line drive up the middle by AMC hit the Gobbler pitcher and added one more run for AMC.
In the top of the fifth, with AMC trailing by two runs, AMC made consecutive errors at second and right field, allowing the Gobblers to tack on two more runs, leading 7-3 at the end of the inning.
Ultimately, AMC fell short to the Glizzy Gobblers with a final score of 7-3.
The team played a good defensive game, health senior Campbell Cody, who plays first base and also coaches, said.
“Defensively, we were pretty sound,” Cody said. “We unfortunately just couldn’t get runners on the bag, so that’s why we ended up losing.”
Cody said the team came into the game with a lot of confidence as a 2-0 team playing an 0-2 team.
“We came in kind of unprepared, unfocused,” Cody said. “I think we kind of underrated them a little bit, and they came and got us.”
AMC will face Lettuce Hit on Wednesday, Oct. 11, on Field 2 at Penberthy Rec Center.
Curtis Michalec is a recreation, parks and tourism sciences senior and contributed this from the course JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.