Women’s basketball falls to Missouri in overtime thriller

Photo by Photo by Rachel Grant

Khaalia Hillsman is has the highest number of points on the team this season at 283.

The Aggie women’s basketball team battled the Missouri Tigers on Thursday night in Mizzou Arena and lost a tight game 78-76 in overtime. 
The Aggies will now fall to 14-5 and 4-2 in SEC play, and Missouri will improve to 13-7 and 3-3 in the SEC. The loss ends a three-game win streak and a six-game win streak in Mizzou Arena.
Missouri led for most the game until the fourth quarter, when the Aggies came back and took a five-point lead on the Tigers with 5:12 left in the fourth quarter.
Missouri then muscled their own comeback to keep things close until Missouri sophomore guard Sophie Cunningham made a layup with almost no time left to send the game into overtime. Missouri took an early overtime lead and kept it the whole period, while clinching the game at the free throw line. 
Cunningham was the story of the night as she scored a season high 36 points, adding seven rebounds and four assists. Cunningham went 14-15 from the free throw line to help put away the Aggies in overtime.
A&M couldn’t find a way to stop Cunningham as she contributed nearly half of Missouri’s points. The Tigers were also led by sophomore forward Cierra Porter, who scored 14 points and added 13 rebounds, and Cunningham’s older sister Lindsey Cunningham, who added 11 points and four rebounds.
On the other side, the Aggies had an unexpected source of scoring in senior point guard Curtyce Knox. Knox leads the country in assists per game at 9.6, but averages about the same in scoring.
Thursday night, Knox led the Aggies with 25 points, including three three-point shots. Junior center Khaalia Hillsman also helped the Aggie effort as she added 19 points and 11 rebounds. After sophomore forward Anriel Howard fouled out in the fourth quarter, senior forward Taylor Cooper played an important role as she scored 11 points and added six rebounds.
A&M will welcome LSU into Reed Arena on Saturday as it looks to back bounce against a different Tigers. The matchup will air on the SEC Network at 4 p.m.