Women’s basketball team to put unblemished home record on line

The A&M women’s basketball team will host Alabama Monday night in an effort to maintain its undefeated status at home this season, where the Aggies maintain the 10th-longest active winning streak.
The Aggies (19-6, 7-4 SEC) come into Monday’s conference showdown led by Courtney Walker and Courtney Williams, who both rank among the top 10 in the SEC in points per game. The Courtneys combined for 29 points in Thursday’s 59-55 win over Arkansas.
Not only does Walker lead the team in scoring, she also played all 40 minutes of the Arkansas game and recorded seven rebounds and a steal.
Alabama (13-13, 2-9 SEC) got back in sync with a win Thursday after dropping four straight games for the second time this season. Unlike Texas A&M, which has a clear path to postseason play, the Crimson Tide occupy the 13-seed in the SEC and can only hope to finish the year on a high note.
The Alabama roster consists of eight underclassmen — five freshmen and three sophomores. The Aggies represent the opposite side of the spectrum, with 10 upperclassmen anchored by four seniors.
Texas A&M once again will try to break into the top five in the SEC this week. The Aggies’ two remaining contests against higher ranked opponents this season will be on the road at Kentucky and at LSU. A&M plays LSU in the final game of the regular season, which could have implications for seeding in the SEC tournament.
With a win Monday the Aggie women’s basketball program will have recorded a 10th straight 20-win season.
With only three remaining home games, A&M tips off at 6 p.m. at Reed Arena.