Women’s club soccer falls to LSU 1-0

Screen Shot 2023-10-06 at 10.24.03 AM.png

Texas A&M women’s club soccer couldn’t close out a win as it lost to LSU 1-0 on Sunday, Oct. 1, at the Penberthy Rec Sports Complex.
The teams were equally matched in the first half with neither team dominating. Shortly after halftime, LSU scored the go-ahead goal. The Aggies didn’t let the goal discourage them and brought the fire but fell in the end.
Towards the end of the first half, the players started getting tired, allied health senior and team president Brooke Brown said. Passes were disconnected and touches were off, she said, but at the start of the second half, the team was ready to go and encouraged one another on the field.
“Maybe if there were 10 more minutes of the game, we would have made a goal, which is frustrating, but that is the game of soccer,” Brown said.
Going into her 19th and final year of soccer, Brown said the team started making better connections throughout the half and made good plays ahead of LSU’s goal.
“We need to be working out of the middle and use our speed because that is our strength,” Brown said. “Putting through balls on the ground will also get us a step ahead of our opponents.”
Brown said the team does a lot of traveling for games and being part of the team is a big commitment, but it is worth it.
“[The] most memorable part of soccer was at 2022 regionals when we beat Baylor during penalty kicks,” Brown said. “Also, being off the field when we’re not playing soccer and just bonding with each other is where most memories are made.”
The team will play on Friday, Oct. 6 against Alabama at home. The practices leading up to the game are where improvement will be made, Brown said.
For more information, follow @TAMUWomensClubSoccer on Instagram.
Alex Perryman is a journalism junior and contributed this from the course JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.