Women’s club soccer hosts final game before regionals

Photo by Alex Perryman, JOUR 359 contributor

No. 4 Caroline Geertsema looks on as A&M’s keeper kicks the ball to advance the team to UT’s half of the field during the Oct. 14 game.

Texas A&M’s women’s club soccer team is 2-2-1 for the season and ready to make a comeback against Oklahoma State on Saturday, Oct. 21, at the Penberthy Rec Sports Complex.
To win the match, A&M’s center forward Brooke Brown said the team hopes to finish shots and opportunities as well as moving on and off the ball. A&M tied 0-0 against Texas on Oct. 14. Saturday’s match is the final game before the NIRSA Regional Tournament.
The first half against UT started slow for the Aggies but picked up in the second half with no shots allowed against the Maroon and White. UT is one of the best teams in the country, so having a draw is a win, allied health senior Brooke Brown, the president of the club team, said.
“We hope to have the win next game [against OSU] and be able to finish those opportunities we create,” Brown said.
There were many chances for shots to be made against UT, but finding the back of the net was a challenge, and having to follow through needs to be worked on, Brown said.
“I am proud of my girls and how passionate we played,” Brown said.
Texas club soccer is one of A&M’s most demanding competitions, Brown said.
“One of our strong plays was when our midfielder Maia [Rondinelli] passed the ball to Kelsey and created a breakaway 1v1, and their keeper barely saved it,” Brown said.
The match against OSU kicks off at 1 p.m. at the Penberthy Sports Complex. Follow women’s club soccer @TAMUWomensClubSoccer on Instagram for more information.
Alex Perryman is a journalism junior and contributed this article from JOUR 359 Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.