Sophomore LHP Ryan Prager (18) celebrates getting the last strikeout during A&Ms games against Vanderbilt on Friday, April 11, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Ring Day run rule
Ring Day run rule
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Ring Day run rule
Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • April 12, 2024

It was Ring Day in Aggieland when No. 3 Texas A&M faced off against No. 6 Vanderbilt on Friday night in the first game of a three-game set. The...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Women’s competitive intramural volleyball team SmartAces heads to playoffs

Photo by Idani Cantu
Senior Jessica Fergurson of the SmartAces spikes during the first set on Feb. 8 at the Student Rec Center. The SmartAces went on to win after a tiebreaker set.

After going 2-1 in regular season play, the SmartAces are ranked ninth in the women’s competitive intramural volleyball league and are set to play the first round of playoffs at 8:20 p.m. on Wednesday, March 20 at the Student Recreation Center. The game was rescheduled from before spring break.

The SmartAces are on a one-win streak after losing against I’d Hit That in the second game of the season. The SmartAces’ first round playoff opponent, the 2-1 Gold Diggers, are ranked 11th and have been on a two-game winning streak.

While playing with only four on the floor for most of the season, the SmartAces captain said the team has added communication sophomore Theresa Terrones to the lineup.

“We just kind of make the best of it and have fun,” biomedical sciences junior Blakeli Duckworth said. “Sometimes we do amazing with less than six and other times it’s not the best, but we’re just here to have fun.”

Now in her sixth semester playing for competitive and recreational intramural teams, Duckworth said she has also played both sand volleyball and outdoor soccer.

“Me and [biomedical sciences senior] Taylor [Wilson] have been on a lot of teams and wanted a name that was funny but also kind of sassy, and that’s how SmartAces formed,” Duckworth said.

As a member of the women’s competitive rec volleyball league, Duckworth said her favorite part has been playing the sport she loves with her friends and having a great time.

“I think that intramural sports is a great way for students to stay active and involved while in college, and it’s a great way to meet new people and make new friends,” Duckworth said.

Teams play three games in February to determine ranking in women’s competitive recreational volleyball. Top winning team captains choose playoff times against similarly ranked opponents in a single-elimination tournament.

Originally scheduled to play March 7, time conflicts for SmartAces forced a reschedule.

Idani Cantu is an agricultural communications and journalism senior and contributed this from the course JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.