Women’s golf captures bronze at Jim West Challenge

Provided

Szeryk placed third overall in individual competition at the Jim West Challenge in Boerne. 

After three days at the Jim West Challenge in Boerne, the Texas A&M women’s golf team concluded its stay Tuesday with a third place finish.  

No. 11 A&M entered Sunday as the defending champions of the challenge. The Aggies were tied for first with No. 7 Kent State after one round at 3-under par.

“We had a team effort again today,” Texas A&M head coach Trelle McCombs told 12thman.com. on Saturday. “We played pretty steady all day.”

Following the second round, Texas A&M was in second place with a score of 3-under par for the second consecutive day at the tournament. It was the fifth time this season that A&M had a par-or-better round, which is tied for second on the A&M single season list.

“We had good rounds from everyone today,” McCombs told 12thman.com. “All the girls stayed in it all day.”

On the final round of the tournament the Aggies faced a few challenges, hitting three bogeys on par five, allowing No. 7 Kent State to extend its lead and Florida State to take over possession of second place.

“We just didn’t get started off on the right foot today” McCombs told 12thman.com. “And you can’t give a good team that many shots from the get go.”

Despite shooting 9-over par in the final round of the Jim West Classic, Texas A&M was able to clinch a third place spot, giving the Aggies their third top-5 finish in the last three weeks.

Sophomore Maddie Szeryk led the Aggies shooting 4-under par, a personal best which also earned her a individual third place finish.

Juniors Thanya Pattamakijsakul and Bianca Fabrizo tied for 18th place at 3-over par while junior Andrea Jonama finished the tournament in a tie for 21st shooting 4-over par. Junior Callie Scheffler hit 5-over par for a tie in 30th. Freshman Emily Campbell played as an individual earning a 51st finish hitting 12-over par.
Texas A&M will finish their fall campaign on Oct. 25-27 at the Alamo Invitational in San Antonio at the Briggs Ranch Golf Club.

• Senior Maddie Szeryk competed at the U.S. Women’s Open this past weekend at Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, N.J.