Women’s golf fall 6.5-2.5 to Longhorns in season opener

The Texas A&M women’s golf team fell 6.5-2.5 in its first outing of the season today in both the morning and afternoon sessions to the University of Texas in the nearby Traditions Club in Bryan.

The day began early Sunday morning with three best ball matches, where two players from each school played with four total, and the school with the best score on the hole wins the hole. Consequently, the school that won the most holes won the match. Aggie head coach Trelle McCombs was mindful of the fact that this match was an exhibition.

“I want to really use this match as a measuring stick,” McCombs said. “This gives us a chance to know where we are and what our strengths and weaknesses are.”

The morning pairing of Bianca Fabrizio and Andrea Jonama began the day matching the Longhorn pairing of Tezira Abe and Maddie Luitwieler hole by hole through the first three.. The other morning Aggie pairings were Maddie Szeryk and Thanya Pattamakijsakul and Emily Campbell and Chloe Velasco. After a tough contest, Texas ended up pulling out all three matches, going up 3-0 early.

Following the morning sessions and a break for lunch, the afternoon sessions began with six match-play competitions between the Longhorns and Aggies. These matches were played to the complete 18 holes, regardless of whether the match was still in question.

Some notable results from this afternoon was junior Andrea Jonama fell 5-4 to Haley Mills and Pattamakijsakul won her match. The Aggies only won two afternoon matches en route to dropping the afternoon match 6.5-2.5.
The Aggie women are back in action September 19-21 when they participate in the Schooner Fall Classic in Norman, Oklahoma.