Women’s golf finishes in top-5 of Annika Intercollegiate

Bianca+Fabrizio
Photo by Courtesy: Texas A&M Media Relations
Bianca Fabrizio

Texas A&M women’s golf continues to maintain dominance after a fifth place finish on Tuesday at the illustrious Annika Intercollegiate in Orlando, Florida.

No. 11 A&M entered intercollegiate invitational with a tough field to compete against which included No. 1 Duke and defending national champion, No. 2 Stanford along with six other top fifteen teams.

This did not stop the Aggies who later in the first round on Saturday were sitting in third place at 10-under par three shots behind the tournament leading Southern California team.

“I am proud of how the team played today,” Texas A&M head coach Trelle McCombs told 12thman.com.  ”They did a great job of sticking to the game plan. We are looking forward to playing with Duke and Southern Cal tomorrow.”

After the second round on Sunday the Aggies broke a school record for hitting 12-under par after 36 holes which had been set at the NCAA San Antonio Regional just two weeks ago.

On the final day of the tournament, A&M shot 7-over par which earned them a impressive fifth place finish. No. 3 USC won the tournament shooting at 36-under par. Other notable finishes at the event were No. 2 ranked Stanford who came in 10th. Texas A&M was among two SEC schools to earn top five spots at this event

Junior Callie Scheffler led the field for the Aggies with a career best 54 hole score of three-under par finishing in a tie for 13th place, while teammate sophomore Maddie Szeryk finished one stroke behind Scheffler with an even par and earning herself a 16th place tie, both strong outings amongst the top players in the Nation.

Juniors Bianca Fabrizo, Andrea Jonama, and Thanya Pattamakijsakul finished the invitational at one-under par in 19th place, two-over par in 43rd place and seven-over par in 45th place, respectively.
The next event for the Aggies will be Oct. 4 at the Jim West Challenge at Tapatio Springs in Boerne, Texas, in which they are reigning tournament champions.

• Callie Scheffler