Women’s golf finishes third, breaks record at Florida State match up

Photo by Provided by Aggie Athletics
Women’s golf wins SEC Championship

This past weekend, No. 23 Texas A&M Women’s golf competed at the Florida State Match-Up in Florida. A&M fell just short of runner-up No. 13 South Carolina and the host team and first place finisher No. 4 Florida State.
Texas A&M head coach Trelle McCombs said she was proud of the way her team came out produced a record-breaking performance despite the third-place finish.
“We had a great finish to the tournament,” she told 12thman.com, “To shoot 14-under in a college golf tournament and break the school record is pretty neat.”
As a team, the Aggies shot the best in the final round of any team in the tournament, carding a 12-under par score. Four of the five players managed to shoot under par on Sunday, lead by Bianca Fabrizio with a 5-under par score of 67 and freshman Courtney Dow with a 4-under par 68. The Aggies now have three consecutive top-3 or better finishes and have not finished in the bottom half of any tournament this season.
Throughout the week the team stood out with their consistent scoring. The Aggies were third in par 3 and par 4 scoring and outshone the other teams on par 5 scoring by 6 strokes. Texas A&M had players near the top in all three of these categories, including Dow being the top par 5 scorer of the tournament, averaging 4.17 shots per hole and recording 2 eagles. 
Maddie Szeryk and Fabrizio finished tied for 2nd and 5th respectively both of which led for parts of the tournament. Neither shot a round over par this weekend and had the second and third most birdies, solidifying their reputations as sharpshooters at this course. Dow also notched her second top-10 finish of the season with an impressive final round on Sunday. Senior Thanya Pattamakijsakul managed to finish in the top 25 followed by Andrea Jonama who finished tied for 33rd , shooting a 1-under par score of 71 on Sunday, the best round of her season.
In the match-up portion of the event, in which two schools are paired together to compete against others, Texas A&M and Florida State were paired together and won for the third consecutive year. In the end it was not close, as the Aggies and Seminoles ended up 48-strokes ahead of the rest of the field.
With a successful tournament in the books to start their spring season, the Aggies will look to The Woodlands in north Houston for their next tournament where they will be hosted by the University of Houston in The Dickson on February 27th.