Women’s golf has day of bests at Icon Invitational

Provided by Aggie Athletics
Women’s golf wins SEC Championship

Texas A&M women’s golf earned their best finish of the season on Tuesday, placing fifth at the Icon Invitational hosted at The Woodlands Country Club.
Sitting in third place after two rounds on day one, the Aggies closed with a six-over final round to finish at 19-over par (883) in a tie with Clemson. Hosts University of Houston won the tournament at eight-over par.
“We got off to a great start,” A&M head coach Andrea Gaston told 12thman.com. “We had 15 birdies today, which is right there up there with some of the better teams in this tournament, so I’m certainly pleased to see us play a little more aggressively and have those opportunities for birdie. We just have to eliminate some of the bigger numbers and we’ll keep moving on up.”
Katie Finley finished in a tie for 19th at five-over par to earn her first career top-25. The freshman carded the Aggies’ best final round, at one-under par. Finley was tied for third in par 3 scoring (-3) this week and was one of only three players —Finley, Park and Kent State’s junior Pimnipa Panthong— to record an eagle.
Junior Amber Park finished alongside her freshman teammate in 19th place. Park’s best score came in the second round, carding two-under, and was tied for fifth in par 4 scoring (E) for the tournament.
Courtney Dow earned her third top-25 finish of the season, finishing in a tie for 24th at six-over par. The junior started her tournament with an even-par first round, and followed it up with two rounds of three-over par.
Rounding out the team for the Aggies were freshman Brooke Tyree (+8) and sophomore Ava Schwienteck (+9), who finished in ties for 30th and 37th, respectively.
A&M will be back on the course on Saturday, March 2, as the Aggies host Texas State in a match-play event.