Women’s golf hires USC’s Andrea Gaston as new head coach

Photo by Courtesy of Texas State Athletics

Senior Maddie Szeryk tied for fifth at 6-over-par at the Trinity Forest Invitational.

Texas A&M introduced Andrea Gaston as its new head women’s golf coach Wednesday.
Gaston comes from USC where she led the Lady Trojans to three team national titles and produced five individual champions in 22 seasons.
“We strive for excellence in all that we do and Andrea is the personification of excellence as the nation’s premier women’s golf coach,” A&M athletic director Scott Woodward said in a statement. “Her commitment to the complete student-athlete and her track record of developing world-class golfers and leading them to championships is unparalleled and we are thrilled that she will be joining the Aggie Family.”
Last week, Gaston was named National Women’s Golf Coach of the Year by Golfweek for the third time in her career after guiding the Lady Trojans to the NCAA semifinals.
Gaston has produced 50 All-Americans and holds the longest active postseason streak among coaches at 21 years.
“Throughout my career, I have always focused on the student-athlete,” said Gaston, “and any success that we have had is because of their hard work and talent. Texas A&M is known throughout the country for providing a world-class student-athlete experience and education and I believe that the program has no limits to where it can go. I want to thank Scott Woodward and his team for giving me this opportunity and I cannot wait to get started.”
Gaston replaces Trelle McCombs, who Woodward announced in May would not return for a 12th season after missing the NCAA Tournament for a third-straight year.