Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) throws a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Florida at the NCAA Men’s College World Series semifinal at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Sunday, June 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Aggies defeat Gators 6-0 to advance to first College World Series finals
Kolton Becker, Sports Writer • June 20, 2024

There’s always a first for everything.  For the first time in program history, Texas A&M baseball is headed to the Men’s College...

Women’s golf looks to defend title at Jim West Challenge

Photo by Provided by Aggie Athletics
Women’s golf wins SEC Championship

Texas A&M women’s golf is set to compete this upcoming Sunday through Tuesday at the Jim West Challenge in Boerne, an event hosted by Texas State women’s golf.

Looking to maintain its title as reigning champions, No. 18 A&M will face No. 9 Kent State, Mississippi State, Texas, Houston, and Oklahoma among other competing teams at this weekend’s invitational.

As defending champions, Texas A&M head coach Trelle McCombs does not want the team’s previous performances, national rankings or mistakes to dictate their mindset heading into this weekend’s invitational.

“We won this event last year, so the expectation is to go back and defend the title,” said McCombs. “But my expectation for the team is learn from the mistakes we’ve made so far this year and do a good job controlling what we control.”

A&M enters this weekend’s invitational after having earned a top-five finish at the Annika Intercollegiate this past weekend in Orlando, Florida and a top three finish the week before at the Schooner Fall Classic in Norman, Oklahoma.

Entering every new event with a clear mindset and a newfound determination is important to sophomore Maddie Szeryk, who earned second place honors in last years Jim West Classic.

“We’re just going to focus on our game and not worry on what we did last year, we had one different player last year but the rest of us are the same,” Szeryk said. “So we know the course and we’re ready to go out there and play and focus on ourselves.”

Szeryk and teammate junior Callie Scheffler were the top players for the Aggies in last week’s invitational. Szeryk finished at even par in a tie for 16th while Scheffler had a career best three-under par in a 54–hole game who tied for 13th place.

The tournament is set to begin Sunday in Boerne.