Women’s golf ties for first while men’s tie for third in respective tournaments

The men and women’s golf team hit the links this week with both tying for third and first place respectively. For the women, junior Thanya Pattamakijsakul finished in first place capturing medalist honors.

The women competed in the Dr. Donnis Thompson Invitational in Kane’ohe, Hawaii Tuesday and Wednesday, while the men were wrapping up play Tuesday in Palm City, Florida for the Valspar Collegiate Invitational. Both teams had stand out performers.

Thanya Pattamakijsakul captured the first victory of her career, all while matching her career best at five-under par. In her last six rounds, Pattamakijsakul has shot par or better putting her at 12-under during that span.

“I am thrilled for Thanya,” women’s head coach Trelle McCombs said to 12thman.com. “Her hard work has paid off with a tournament championship.”

Junior Bianca Fabrizio finished tied for second shooting three-under par in the final round and finishing at five-under for the tournament.

“I am so proud of how the team battled today,” McCombs said to 12thman.com. “It is incredibly hard to win a college golf tournament, and we got hot at the right moments today.”

After jumping up three places on the leaderboard in the final round, freshman Chandler Phillips finished as runner-up in his individual field, shooting two-under for the tournament. In his last six events, Phillips has finished in the top 10 four times.

“Chandler Phillips was just a stud this week,” head coach J.T. Higgins said to 12thman.com. “He tied for the championship as a true freshman and held his own in a playoff against a senior. I’m really proud of him, he’s shown a lot of heart and is turning into one of our best players.”

Texas won the men’s tournament at three over par, and LSU took second at eight over par. With A&M’s finish, this marks the sixth tournament in a row where the men have finished in the top half of the field.

“I really like where we’re at and how we’re progressing heading toward the postseason,” Higgins said to 12thman.com. “I think we’re going to be a team to be reckoned with. I’m really proud of the guys, they’re working their tails off and it’s great to see results for all the work they’re putting in.”
The men’s team will hit the course again April 2 for the Aggie Invitational at Traditions and the women’s team returns to action April 1 for the Clemson Invitational.