Women’s golf to travel to Schooner Fall Classic

Andrea Jonama shot a 228 at the “Mo”morial Tournament. 

The Texas A&M women’s golf team is set to tee off this weekend at the Schooner Fall Classic in Norman, Oklahoma.
The tournament is the first outing for the Aggies since the beginning of September.
“Having not competed in a month, we have had a few nerves and are just trying to get back into a competitive mindset,” head coach Trelle McCombs said. “The girls are playing well right now and are going to keep doing what they’re doing.”
The Aggies have a young lineup this year with only one senior on the roster, which McCombs said comes with its own advantages and disadvantages.
“The younger players don’t know any better so they can just go out and play,” McCombs said. “However, it’s not an age thing, it’s more about managing their games. We see upperclassmen managing themselves well but we just have to keep getting better. Its another day, another round.”
McCombs said sophomores Bianca Fabrizio and Andrea Jonama are key to the team’s success.
“Those are two players that if they can play well, the whole team can play well,” McCombs said.
In the “Mo”morial Tournament that took place Sept. 8–10 at Traditions Golf Club in Bryan, Fabrizio shot a 221 and averaged a 73.67 through three rounds, while Jonama shot a 228 and averaged a 76. Leading the team was freshman Maddie Szeryk, who shot a 213 and averaged a 71.
The Aggies walked away from that tournament with a third place finish and with three players finishing in the top-10.
Coming off a strong tournament, building consistency has definitely been a focus for the rest of the year, McCombs said.
“We’ve had good rounds and bad rounds,” McCombs said. “We certainly want to win some regular season events — we haven’t done that in a couple years.”
The Aggies will face strong SEC competition this season, McCombs said.
“Every year teams get better and better,” McCombs said. “We just have to focus on ourselves, as that’s all we can control. We can’t run plays or control what other teams do, so we just have to focus on playing good golf.”
The first round of the Schooner Fall Classic begins at 8:30 a.m. Saturday.