Women’s golf wraps up Clemson Invitational

Photo by Courtesy of Texas State Athletics

Senior Maddie Szeryk tied for fifth at 6-over-par at the Trinity Forest Invitational.

Texas A&M’s women’s golf team traveled to Sunset, South Carolina for the Clemson Invitational taking place March 23-25. After finishing fourth in the Dr. Donnis Thompson Invitational, the Aggies have the motivation to execute the same or better outcome for the Clemson rounds.
The Aggies tee-d off on the par 72 course for the first round of the Invitational Friday morning. Lineup for the Aggies included Maddie Szeryk, Courtney Dow, Amber Park, Chloe Velasco and Ariana Saenz.
A&M senior, Maddie Szeryk, brought her best game per usual, shooting a 4-under 68 in the first round, tying for fourth Szeryk led the Aggies with a 1-over 217 during the Dr. Donnis Thompson Invitational and was also named the first Canadian player to the 2018 International Team for the Arnold Palmer Cup. As a whole the Aggies wrapped up the first round with a shot of 4-over 292.
Round two of the Invitational began early Saturday morning at the Reserve at Lake Keowee. A&M junior, Chloe Velasco, led the Aggies for round two at 2-under par. Freshman Amber Park shot a 2-under 70 par along with Szeryk’s 2-under 70. A&M freshman Ariana Saenz followed with a 2-over 74 for the day.
As a team A&M shot a 3-under 285 to conclude the second round of the Clemson Invitational Saturday afternoon with three Aggies shooting under par. Finishing the second round of the tournament in eighth, Furman held the lead with 26-under 550.
The final round for the Clemson Invitational got into gear at 7 a.m. Sunday morning. The Aggies kept their game-winning momentum and wrapped up the third round shooting 298. Szeryk, whose name is no stranger to the spotlight, led the Aggies with a par 72 and finished with 6-under 210, tying for 7th.
Each player held their weight for the team, contributing to the overall shot of 875 for the tournament, placing the Aggies in 10th place in a 15-team Invitational. Park shot a 4-over 220, Saenz shot a 2-over 74, Dow shot a 3-over 75 and Velasco shot a 12-over 84 in Sundays round. No. 7 Furman took home the Invitational team, concluding the 3-day tournament.
No. Texas A&M will travel to Carrollton, Texas for the Bruzzy Challenge on April 2-3.