Women’s Swim and Dive ready to make a splash in home opener

Photo by Photo by Robert O’Brien

Senior Abby Grottle competes in the Women’s 500 Yard Freestyle during the 2023 SEC Swimming & Diving Championships at the Rec Center Natatorium on Wednesday, Feb. 15, 2023.

With Olympic hopefuls as part of a strong returning roster, the No. 24 Texas A&M women’s swimming and diving team will host the 2023-24 season opener against Incarnate Word on Sept. 29.
The Friday, Sept. 29, opener at the Rec Center Natatorium begins at 5 p.m. Key athletes to watch include nine Aggies who have already qualified for the Olympic trials qualifier for the 2024 summer Olympics in France. New diving assistant coach Jeff Bro will debut on the A&M coaching staff. Bro previously coached for the U.S. Olympic Diving Team and was a USA Diving National Coach of the Year.
The Aggies finished the 2022-23 season ninth overall in the SEC Championships with 583.5 points and an 8-3 record and 25th overall in the NCAA Championship with 26 total points.
Key returners for the Aggies include NCAA All-Americans senior Bobbi Kennett, senior Chloe Stepanek, senior Jordan Buechler, senior Olivia Theall and sophomore Joslyn Oakley, as well as seniors Abby Grottle, Charlotte Longbottom, Abigail Ahrens and junior Aviv Barzelay, sophomore Giulia Goerigk and freshman Katie Walker.
Qualifiers for the Olympic trials include Kennett, Stepanek, Grottle, Theall, Longbottom, Ahrens, Buechler and Walker.
Other Aggies to keep an eye on include Barzelay, who was a part of the 2020 Israeli Olympic swim team, and Oakley, who finished as the 2023 SEC Freshman Women’s Diver of the Year.
A&M is led by swimming head coach Steve Bultman, diving head coach Jay Lerew and assistant coaches Caroline Maxvill Stanek, Nicole McConnell and Bro.
Admission to the meet is free. Follow the team at @AggieSwimDive on Facebook, Instagram and X for more information.