Women’s swim finishes fall with win over Rice

Photo by Photo by Robert O’Brien

A&M women’s swim defeated Rice with a solid showing, winning 10 of the team’s 14 competitions in Houston

In the last meet of the semester, the Texas A&M women’s swimming and diving team traveled to Houston, completing the day with a win over Rice. 

The No. 25 maroon and white took 10 of 14 events in a 159-102 win at the Rice Aquatics Center Natatorium on Saturday, Dec. 4. 

Finishing in first place in the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:41.80, freshman Aviv Barzelay, junior Andrea Perttula, sophomore Olivia Theall and sophomore Chloe Stepanek started the match off strong. 

The Aggies swept the 100-yard breaststroke, taking the top four spots led by sophomore Charlotte Longbottom with a time of 1:04.40, followed by sophomore Emme Nelson, 1:05.03; Perttula, 1:05.04; and senior Kylie Powers, 1:05.84. Nelson also finished first in the 200-yard breaststroke with a time of 2:18.25.

Taking two first-place finishes, sophomore Abby Grottle finished the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 4:56.36 and the 1,000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:04.95; the latter was followed by freshman Joelle Reddin in second place with a time of 10:23.96.

In addition to the 200-yard medley win, Stepanek also finished first in both the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 49.63 and the 200-yard IM with a time of 2:05.17. 

Senior Danielle Hepler took first place in the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 2:02.42 and also placed second with a time of 55.90 in the 100-yard butterfly behind Rice freshman Arielle Hayon’s time of 55.39. 

Sophomore Bobbi Kennett walked away with a first-place finish for the Aggies in the 50-yard butterfly with a time of 23.64, while junior Ashley Conrad took first in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 1:36.35. 

The Aggies will next travel to the Morcon Aquatics Center in Tallahassee, Fla., to take on Florida State on Jan. 6, 2022, at 1 p.m.