Aggies a win away from Women’s College World Series after 6-5 victory over Longhorns

Women’s swimming and diving team faces Miami, Incarnate Word at home

Photo by: Wesley Holmes
A&M Swimming and Diving

Texas A&M women’s swimming and diving enters this weekend’s meet with the University of Miami and Incarnate Word looking to continue its home dominance.

“It’s really nice. I love competing on our ‘home turf,’ how they would call it,” said junior diver Madison Hudkins. “It definitely does give you an advantage because we know how to dive in this pool.”

With a highly talented Miami team making its way to Texas A&M, diving head coach Jay Lerew said he expects nothing short of perfection from his junior diver.

“Maddie, along with some of our other divers, are doing very difficult stuff as in a higher degree in difficulty dives,” Lerew said. “So they have to be right on. They can’t make a mistake.”

Since this meet is near the beginning of the season, most of the swimmers and divers, including senior swimmer Meredith Oliver, are still trying to adjust their techniques. 

“It’s still early in the season, so I’m not worried about times as much I’m worried about swimming my own race and getting a strategy down,” Oliver said. 

Texas A&M women’s swimming and diving assistant head coach Tanica Jamison is using this weekend’s home meet to raise funds as part of Breast Cancer Awareness month. 

“We are competing with nine other universities and the goal is to raise as much money and support as we possibly can for Breast Cancer Awareness,” Jamison said. “We are doing that through donations and t-shirt sales that will all go to the cause. In the end, every participating university will tally up their earning and the university with the most wins. But it really is a win-win because everyone will benefit from this, especially this being a female sport — it can affect any of us.”

The meet will get underway at 6 p.m. Friday in College Station.