Sophomore LHP Ryan Prager (18) celebrates getting the last strikeout during A&Ms games against Vanderbilt on Friday, April 11, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Ring Day run rule
Ring Day run rule
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Ring Day run rule
Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • April 12, 2024

It was Ring Day in Aggieland when No. 3 Texas A&M faced off against No. 6 Vanderbilt on Friday night in the first game of a three-game set. The...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Women’s tennis duo takes home tournament title at NC State Invitational

Photo by Megan Williams

The team and coaches line up before a game vs. Stanford at the NCAA Women’s Tennis quarterfinals in Orlando, Florida on Wednesday, May 17, 2023.

Four Texas A&M women’s tennis athletes made the trip to the NC State Invitational hosted by North Carolina State from Sept. 21-24. Junior Mary Stoiana and sophomore Mia Kupres came home with a doubles title, while Stoiana added her own run to the semifinals in singles play in Cary, North Carolina.
The Aggies opened the tournament with a day of doubles play, as the duo of 2023 SEC Player of the Year Stoiana and 2023 All-SEC Second Team Kupres defeated a Virginia pair, 6-0. They followed up that win with a 7-5 win over Texas partners graduate Tanya Sasnouskaya and senior Charlotte Chavatipon.
Stoiana and Kupres took home their tournament title after defeating Ohio State 6-2 on Sunday morning.
Things didn’t go as smoothly for A&M’s other doubles pair of sophomores Nicole Khirin and Daria Smetannikov. They began their tournament with a loss 7-5 to a North Carolina duo and followed it up with another close defeat as they fell 6-4 to hosts NC State.
Khirin and Smetannikov were able to turn it around on the final day of doubles play, earning a 6-3 victory over the Longhorns’ Sasnouskaya and Chavatipon and a win over Duke by way of a walkover.
In singles, top-seeded Stoiana made a run to the semifinals of her draw. Stoiana defeated Georgia Tech senior Mahak Jain in straight sets to begin the run and followed it up with a tiebreaker win over Ohio State junior Sydni Ratliff to advance to the quarterfinals, where she defeated North Carolina junior Carson Tanguilig thanks to a pair of 6-3 wins in both sets.
Stoiana’s run was brought to an end by fifth-seeded senior Amelia Rajecki of NC State, who would go on to win the draw. In consolation play, Stoiana added a match win over a different Wolfpack opponent thanks to a 10-6 Set 3 win.
Meanwhile, Kupres was able to upset No. 3 seed Ayana Akli of South Carolina in the first round and advanced to the third round where she fell to No. 6 seed graduate Irina Cantos Siemers of Ohio State in straight sets.
Khirin was the third Aggie to advance to the third round, thanks to a pair of straight-set victories. Khirin’s run was ended by a 7-5, 7-6 loss to NC State senior Abigail Rencheli, but the Aggie sophomore added a pair of wins in consolation draw play.
In the second draw, No. 3 seed Smetannikov fell in the second round to Virginia’s unseeded senior Sara Ziodato 6-1, 6-2, who would go on to win. Consolation play allowed Smetannikov to finish out the tournament with another two match wins.
The Maroon and White will return to Cary for the ITA All-American Championships on Saturday, Sept. 30, and have their home opener in the Texas A&M Fall Invitational on Nov. 3 at the Mitchell Tennis Center.