Women’s tennis earns two championship wins at SMU Invitational

Photo by Photos by Brandon Holmes

Tatiana Makarova prepares for the ball.

Over the weekend, the Texas A&M women’s tennis team played in the SMU Invitational in Dallas, emerging with a No. 1 singles win and a No. 2 doubles championship title in their second tournament of the season.
On Friday, Tatiana Makarova and Iulia Ivascu started the tournament strong, going undefeated in both singles and doubles play.
The next day, the Aggies put in more good work in the semifinals. The doubles team defeated Georgia State to advance to the championship match. Makarova defeated Janina Braun of Mississippi State to go to the singles championship.
A&M head coach Mark Weaver said the first-day wins offered confidence to the team as they faced off against high-level opponents.
“It was a very good and decisive win for Tatiana today,” Weaver told the 12thman.com. “Janina Braun played very high in the lineup last year for Mississippi State, which was a very solid team. It’s a great opportunity tomorrow as they will play for the doubles title, [and] Tatiana will have an opportunity to play for the singles title.”
On Sunday, the Aggies brought their A-game to the championship matches. Makarova and Ivascu took down Austin Peay State in the doubles match, and Makarova came out victorious in her singles match against Georgia State’s Daniela Ramirez.
Weaver said Makarova’s performance on day three gives the team that extra lift, knowing she will be able to come out and dominate in tough situations.
“Congratulations to Tatiana on the singles championship and to both Tatiana and Iulia for taking home the doubles title,” Weaver told 12thman.com.“This is definitely a step forward for Tatiana in her level of play, and that is very encouraging for our team moving forward.”
The Aggies will head to Florence, South Carolina next week to compete in the ITF Florence Open from Oct. 15 to Oct. 21.