Women’s tennis falls in SEC tournament semifinals

On Saturday afternoon, the No. 19 Texas A&M women’s tennis team ended their 2019 spring SEC Tournament at the hands of No. 1 Georgia with 4-0 win. The loss caused the Aggies to fall to 7-7 all-time in the SEC Tournament, after making it to the semifinals in the 2013, 2014 and 2019 tournaments.
The Aggies started their day with loss as they saw their streak of five doubles points come to an end as the Bulldogs earned the first points of the day. Georgia’s Katarina Jokic and Lourdes Carle stomped A&M’s Jayci Goldsmith and Tatiana Makarova with a 6-1 victory, followed by the final doubles point given to Meg Kowalski and Marta Gonzalez over A&M’s Riley McQuaid and Lucia Quiterio, with a 6-3 win.
Texas A&M women’s tennis head coach Mark Weaver told 12thman.com, “One of the main keys was the doubles point, we have had a great record there to start matches and that was a very winnable doubles point that could have made a very big difference in the match today.”
In singles play, A&M earned a pair of first sets and forced third sets on two matches, but were unable to carry it to the finish. Georgia doubled their lead, 2-0, with a 6-2 and 6-0 win by Elena Christofi over McQuaid. To follow, No. 62 Wolff stomped A&M’s Renee McBryde with 6-0, 2-6, and 6-4 victories. The final point of the day was then carried by No. 64 Carle with a 6-4 win over A&M’s Makarova.
Following the match Weaver talked about the Aggies’ challenges during doubles play.
“Anytime you are playing the No. 1 team in the country it is going to be tough to find four singles wins. Even with that it was a very competitive tennis match that they score doesn’t necessarily portray.” Weaver said. “In several of those singles matches, they could have gone either way and we were in a pretty good position in the three matches that did not finish. We had our chances out there and I think that is a huge improvement from when we played them a couple weeks ago.”
The Aggies, now 22-7, will learn their NCAA Tournament matchup on the selection show at 5:30 PM on Monday.