Women’s tennis falls to Frogs 4-2 in ITA Kick-Off Championship

Cody Franklin — THE BATTALION

Rutuja Bhosale, featured above, and her doubles partner Saska Gavilovska clinched the first point for the Aggies.

The Aggie women’s and men’s tennis teams completed their ITA tournaments this weekend at the Mitchell Tennis Center.
The 10th-ranked men finished the tournament with a victory in the consolation game against San Diego 4-1, while the 11th-ranked women fell against the TCU Horned Frogs in match play 4-2 Sunday. With the victory, the Horned Frogs clinched a berth in the ITA National Team Indoor Championship.
The doubles tandem of sophomores Rutuja Bhosale and Saska Gavrilovska had a tough start to their match against TCU’s Simona Parajova and Sofiko Kadzhaya, digging themselves into an early 4-1 hole. As the game progressed, the Aggie duo began to string points together and stormed back to clinch the first point for the Aggies.
The Aggie men took the first point on Sunday in the doubles match with victories from the tandems of Jeremy Efferding and Jordan Szabo as well as AJ Catanzariti and Arthur Rinderknech.
The women began the singles portion needing to win three of the six singles matches to clinch the team victory. In five of the six singles matches, the Aggies dropped the first set, with junior Stefania Hristov, the lone Aggie, to win her first set.
Junior Ines Deheza went down in the second set 4-6, 4-6 to Kadzhaya. The other five matches went down to the wire, with the Aggies falling in tough three set matches.
For men’s singles, freshman Arthur Rinderkneck finished the victory for the Aggies 6-4, 6-4 against Jordan Angus of San Diego.
The men continue play Sunday in College Station against Ohio State and UT-Pan American, while the women travel to Houston to face No. 3 North Carolina. Play begins at noon for the men at the Mitchell Tennis Center.