Women’s tennis falls to Vanderbilt on the road

Photo by Photos by Brandon Holmes

Riley McQuaid and Dorthea Faa-Hviding closes out the last doubles match of the night. 

No. 33 Texas A&M’s Women’s Tennis team traveled to Nashville, Tennessee to take on top ranked No. 2 Vanderbilt at Curry Tennis Center where they fell to the Commodores.
The Commodores did not show mercy on the Aggies, dominating the match with a final sweep of 4-0. Vanderbilt’s victory advanced their overall ranking to 16-3 with 9-1 in Southeastern Conference play, while the loss set the Aggies with an overall 15-6 with 5-5 in SEC competition.
In a 4 p.m. first serve the Aggies doubles line-up included seniors Eva Paalma with Domenica Gonzalez, freshmen Riley McQuaid with Tatiana Makarova and senior Macarena Olivares with freshman Dorthea Faa-Hviding.
While the first two doubles matches ended in Vanderbilt’s favor with scores of 6-1 and 6-2, the final match was tied with the Aggies. Vanderbilt still claimed the point to wrap up doubles.
Heading into singles the Aggies continued to struggle for steady momentum. Vanderbilt swept the Aggies on all six courts in the first set of matches to maintain lead-way. The Commodores managed to hold their composure in the second round of singles but received some come-back competition from freshman Iulia Ivascu who still came up short but with a second round final of 6-3 after a 6-1 first round loss.
Olivares also caused some upset in the second round match by finishing with 4-0 after a 6-3 first match loss.
Olivares, who was named SEC Player of the Week for the first time in her career last week, leads the team in singles records and SEC wins.
Vanderbilt claimed the victory over Texas A&M, tying with Florida for second place in SEC play.
Texas A&M will continue their travels to Lexington, Kentucky Saturday, April 7 to take on No. 28 Wildcats at the Boone Tennis complex with first serve at noon.