Women’s tennis scores pair of much-needed wins against Auburn and Alabama

Photo by Valerie Gunchick

Rachel Pierson returns the ball to her opponent.

In a rather unexpected turn of events, the No. 22 women’s tennis team rattled off two home victories this weekend, the first coming in a huge upset over No. 5 Auburn. This victory marked the second-highest home win ever for the Aggies.

Auburn won the doubles point to start the match as Domenica Gonzalez and Eva Paalma fell 6-3. But Gonzalez avenged the loss in singles play, as she easily landed a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Alannah Griffin.

The maroon and white broke out to a lead as No. 44 Rachel Pierson defeated No. 29 Alizee Michaud. Tina Bokhua extended it to a 3-1 lead, winning 3-6, 6-2, 6-3. No. 85 Rutuja Bhosale completed the improbable victory for the Ags, as she defeated Andie Dikosalvijevic 4-6, 6-4, 6-2.

Head Coach Mark Weaver was extremely proud of the way his team performed.

“In all six singles matches we were up or winning against the No. 5 team in the country,” Weaver told 12thman.com. “I couldn’t be happier and more proud of the team today.”

Next up for the Aggies was a Sunday matchup against Alabama. A&M kept on rolling, winning 5-2 in a match it controlled from the start.

Rachel Pierson and Rutuja Bhosale saved the doubles point for the Ags, as they beat the pair of Routliffe and Pothoff 6-2. Alabama took the first singles match of the day, knotting it up at 1-1 as Saska Gavrilovska was shut out by Spielmann.

But this was the only real issue for the Aggies, as they went on to win the next three matches to clinch. Bhosale and Gonzalez both scored victories and Olivarez delivered the final blow to the Tide, beating Joanna Savva 6-4, 6-2.

“I can see the confidence growing in our team and we need to continue on with the momentum that we are building,” Weaver said.

The Aggies look to extend their two-game win streak on Wednesday when they travel to Waco to take on Baylor.