Women’s tennis struggles on the road falling to Missouri, Arkansas

Photo by Valerie Gunchick

Rachel Pierson hustled for and connected with the ball to return it to her opponent from Georgia.  

The Aggie’s road trip to Missouri and Arkansas this past weekend did not go as planned for the maroon and white. A&M dropped both matches to end the weekend 0-3 in SEC play and fall to 8-7 on the season.

Missouri, who was looking to snap a 15-match losing streak against the A&M, came out with a chip on their shoulder on Friday, as they won 4-3 in a tight contest.

A&M started off strong, as Rachel Pierson and Rutuja Bhosale clinched the doubles point to begin the day. Missouri then stormed back, winning the first 3 singles matches to take a commanding 3-1 lead, but the Aggies would not go quietly.

Pierson defeated Mizzou’s Brianna Lashway 7-5, 5-7, 6-2, and Domenica  Gonzalez defeated Amina Ismail to knot it up at 3-3. The deciding match between Eva Paalma and Mackenzy Middlebrook proved to be the most exciting one of the day.

Paalma took the first set 6-4, then rallied back from a 5-2 deficit in the second to force a tiebreaker that she eventually lost. The deciding set was even at 3-3 until Middlebrook pulled away to clinch it for Missouri.

Sunday the Aggies traveled to Fayetteville, where they continued to struggle.

A&M fell to the Razorbacks 6-1, as they suffered their fourth consecutive loss. Arkansas won the doubles point and played very well in the singles matches. The Aggies would have been shut out had it not been for the impressive play of Tina Bokhua, who scored a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Giulia Pairone.
With tough SEC matchups against Auburn and Alabama in the upcoming weekend, head coach Mark Weaver said the team will look to fix their mistakes as they prepare for another weekend filled with SEC opponents.

“We definitely need a good week of practice,” Weaver said to 12thman.com. “Get a little bit better as we prepare for both Auburn and Alabama this weekend.
The Maroon and White will look to bounce back this upcoming weekend as they host No. 4 Auburn on Friday and Alabama Sunday at the George P. Mitchell Tennis Center