Women’s tennis take on pair of road matches, men look to keep winning streak alive

The Texas A&M men’s and women’s tennis teams resume play this Friday when the men will prepare for their last home match of the regular season and the women take to the road.

The No. 8 Aggies (15-3, 8-1 SEC) will host the Auburn Tigers on Friday at 5 p.m. at the Mitchell Tennis Center. Prior to the match Texas A&M will recognize and honor the four seniors on the Aggie roster: Jeremy Efferding, Max Montague, Jordan Szabo and Jackson Withrow.

Following the senior’s recognition, the Aggies will return to their all-business state of mind because they will be looking to keep a seven-match win streak alive, but more importantly, protect their home court.

The Auburn Tigers (14-8, 2-6 SEC) have suffered in conference play this year, suffering three of their six losses by being swept.  One positive for the Tigers has come from senior Lukas Ollert who has won 22 singles matches so far this season.

No. 79 AJ Catanzariti has caught fire for the Aggies recently, winning his last nine singles matches. Catanzariti has been named the SEC Freshman of the week for the last two consecutive weeks. He started the year playing near the bottom of the lineup but has recently been playing as high up as the line two position.

After wrapping up their final home match on Friday, the Aggies will travel to Gainesville to take on the No. 16 Florida Gators (10-6, 5-3 SEC). The Aggies have shared many common opponents this season with Ole Miss being the most recent. In the Tigers contest with the Rebels, they fell 4-0, and when the Aggies hosted the crew from Oxford, they emerged victorious, 4-0.

The match between the Gators and Aggies is set to begin on Sunday at 11 a.m.

The A&M women’s team will begin their weekend in Missouri Friday when they take on the Tigers at 5 p.m.

The Missouri Tigers (8-13, 0-9 SEC) have gone through their season without a conference win. On the other side of the spectrum, the No. 11 Aggies (10-4, 7-2 SEC) have only dropped two conference contests, both coming from top 5 nationally ranked teams.

Following their stay in Columbia, the Aggies will head south to Fayetteville to face the Arkansas Razorbacks (13-11, 2-7 SEC) at 12 p.m. Sunday. The Razorbacks are coming in off of a grueling five hour match in which they fell to the Tennessee Volunteers, 4-2.
Following their weekend on the road, the women’s team will have just one more road match before returning home to finish out the regular season.