Women’s tennis to host USTA/ITA Texas Regional Championships

With three tournaments under its belt, the A&M women’s tennis team will play host as they begin the USTA/ITA Texas Regional Championships Thursday morning. This will be a six-day tournament where all women will be competing in singles and doubles matches.

“We’ve had all eight girls together at home the last couple of weeks, and the practices are getting better and better,” head coach Mark Weaver said. “We’re getting in better shape, we’re a little more match-tough, and the level of tennis has raised at least one level at a minimum, so it’s nice to have the whole team together on our home courts.”

Senior Stefania Hristov said her teammates and coaches are excited, and it is much like hosting a postseason match.

“It’s pretty big because we’re playing on the home courts, which is a huge advantage for us,” Hristov said. “It’s like hosting the first round of the NCAA tournament.  You have the crowd, you have the coaches, we don’t have to travel, we sleep in our own beds, so it’s pretty big for us.”

Weaver said playing at the home court will bring more than just the fan advantage.

“I think we play very well on our home courts,” Weaver said. “Seven of our eight girls are returning and are used to the conditions of our court, which tend to play more toward the quicker side. I think it gives us a slight advantage in my opinion along with the comfort of playing on your home court.”

Aggie fans will get a chance to see the team’s new freshman, Dominica Gonzalez from Ecuador, take to the court. Weaver said her style of play will be exciting for those who have yet to see her.

“We’re not playing all next to each other as a team as much, but I’m excited to see Dominica play,” Weaver said. “I know she’s a great competitor and she’s fun to watch.  She’s kind of a flashy player, and I think the fans will have a lot of fun coming out to watch her play.”
Tournament play begins Thursday morning. All girls will play two singles and two doubles matches, weather permitting, and any seeded girls will receive a first round bye from singles match play.