Texas A&Ms attendance for the Alabama game was at 108,101 fans ranking it at the third largest game in Kyle Field history.(Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
‘The Mexican 12th Man’

Growing up in the hills of Monterrey, Mexico, Pedro and Carlos Luna were surrounded by soccer.  Clad in the gold and blue of Tigres UANL,...

Young players gain experience in Texas A&M’s sweep over Georgia

A%26M+Volleyball
Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel
A&M Volleyball

A&M volleyball added a sixth sweep to its eight-game streak with its win over Georgia Sunday, who has now been swept 10 of its last 12 SEC matches. The Aggies sent out many of their non-starting players to give them court time experience as the regular season wraps up.
“We wanted everyone to play today,” head coach Laurie Corbelli said. “We tried to get everybody in just deserving to get on the court and get that feeling back for those that haven’t been out there very much … It always feels good for the team to see their teammates get to compete as a reward for their hard work all week. It’s a nice benefit of a match like this.”
A&M (17-6, 10-2 SEC) hosted the Georgia Bulldogs (5-19, 0-12 SEC) at Reed Arena.
Junior defensive specialist Katelyn Labhart contributed early on with consecutive aces to give a quick 10-5 Aggie lead in the first set. A&M was able to finish the set strong on all sides of the match. Senior middle blocker Shelby Sullivan and sophomore outside hitter Kiara McGee had five kills each, and sophomore libero Amy Nettles saved A&M with five kills to lead the Aggies to a 25-11 win for the first set.
“I don’t really think about the [opposing] libero,” Nettles said. “I’m really just focused on my game and what I can bring to our team. I don’t think about out-digging the other libero, I just know if I play my game, I will out-dig her.”
A&M started the second set with a quick 6-0 start, primarily by consistent Georgia ball-handling and attack errors. The Aggies took the opportunity to allow some of the normal backups to get some playing time, which included freshman middle blocker Kaitlyn Blake, junior setter Kaysie Shebeneck, freshman outside hitter Margaret Connett and fresj,am defensive specialist Paige Panter. Panter helped with a block to take the set, 25-11.
The Aggies collected 15 kills and four errors in the second set, while Georgia only had two kills and six errors. The hitting percentage for the teams in the set were .458 and -.200 respectively.
Many of the subs started the third set. The younger players jumped out to a 15-9 lead over the Bulldogs with Sullivan and Babers’ guidance. A&M was able to finish out — although letting the score come to 21-19 — by leading the entire match. The Aggies ultimately took over to win the set 25-19, clinching the sweep.
“The word we have right now in our minds in November and going into December is ‘work,’” Sullivan said. “Work in practice, work in the game. Just constantly riding each other and holding each other to the standard of working hard and giving it your all … Getting everyone in today and to showcase that work people have been working towards all season is so much fun, to be able to enjoy with them was great.”
The Aggies next match will be away at Ole Miss Friday. The Aggies hosted the Rebels on Oct. 4, which resulted in A&M capturing a sweep. The SEC rematch will start at 6:30 p.m. in Oxford, Mississippi, and will be broadcasted on SEC Network Plus.