Young players shine in Aggie softball’s 11-0 win over Tyler JC

Softball
Photo by Photo by Kevin Chou
Softball

Texas A&M softball benefitted from a three-run third inning and a four-run sixth inning to pull away for a convincing 11-0 win in 10 innings over Tyler Junior College on Tuesday at the Aggie Softball Complex.
Head coach Jo Evans spoke about the performance of her club after the game. 
“I thought our pitchers looked good,” Evans said. “Samantha Show did a really nice job with her drop ball that she’s learning. It’s really breaking. Defensively, I’m really pleased. We’re doing a nice job. I don’t have any complaints about our defense, even though it’s something that I’m particular about.”
The Aggies started the game off with a bang, as  freshman Kaitlyn Alderink sent Apache Alicia Garcia’s offering toward the centerfield wall in the first inning. The ball smacked up against the base of the wall and took an odd bounce away from the centerfielder. From there, Alderink turned on the jets and made it around the bases for the inside the park home run, the first homer of her career.
Freshman pitcher Samantha Show got the call on the mound for A&M turned in a strong performance. She shut out the Apache hitters through six innings – allowing just four hits to go along with nine strikeouts. Show kept the Tyler lineup off balance while on the mound, as she consistently piled up ground ball outs and strikeouts.
Show received some help from her Aggie offense in the third inning, when freshman Keeli Milligan and Alderink were involved in all three runs during the inning.
Milligan got the party started by hitting a screaming grounder that the first baseman has issues corralling, and was ultimately charged with an error. Alderink followed up by hitting a rocket to the right-center gap to score two more runs, ringing her total to three RBI on the night.
After tacking on another run in the fourth frame, the Aggies put the game out of reach with four more runs in the sixth inning.
A sac fly from sophomore infielder Erin Houthoofd, followed by an RBI double from sophomore infielder Kayla Ober pushed the Aggie lead to 7-0. Another sophomore, this time pinch hitter Haley Rebar, instantly made her presence felt with a two-run shot off of the scoreboard to give the Aggies a 9-0 cushion. 
A homer from sophomore Ashley Walters in the ninth inning and a sacrifice fly from Riley Sartain sealed the game for A&M to help them earn the 11-0 victory.
The Aggies will continue play tomorrow, as they receive a visit from McLennan Junior College. First pitch is slated for 5 p.m. on Wednesday from the Aggie Softball Complex.