Photo Courtesy of Maddie Pearson
For the love of birds: Students unite to protect migratory species
J. M. Wise, News Reporter • April 25, 2024

The deadliest building on campus for birds is one dedicated to studying them. At least 23 birds this year have been killed from window collisions...

Texas A&M DL McKinnley Jackson (3), DB Josh DeBerry, DL Fadil Diggs (10) celebrae stopping the ball during a game vs. New Mexico on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023 at Kyle Field.
McKinnley Jackson taken 97th in third round by Cincinnati Bengals
Andrew Paredes, Sports Editor • April 26, 2024

Texas A&M senior DL McKinnley Jackson is saying goodbye to College Station and heading to the Queen City as he was drafted by the Cincinnati...

Texas A&M INF Ted Burton (27) hits a home run during A&Ms game against Georgia on Friday, April 26, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Bye bye, baseballs
Incoming Blinn transfer recounts her Title IX experience
Nicholas GutteridgeApril 25, 2024

Editor’s note: This article contains detailed descriptions of sexual assault that may be uncomfortable to some readers. Reader discretion is...

Art critic Theresa Lozano says Taylor Swift’s “The Tortured Poets Department” isn’t as bad as other critics say it is. (Photo courtesy of Republic Records)
Criticism: ‘The Tortured Poets Department’
Theresa Lozano, Life & Arts Writer • April 25, 2024

Rating: 8.8/10 From an anticipated release to a surprise double album at 2 a.m., Taylor Swift put it all out there with her recently released...

Throwin’ out the Tigers

No. 4 Aggie baseball to play Auburn in next bout of SEC play
Photo by CJ Smith
Junior RHP Brad Rudis (32) starts to throw the ball during A&M’s games against Houston Christian University on Tuesday, March 26, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)

Coming off of a 2-1 series win against No. 21 Mississippi State, No. 4 Texas A&M baseball continues its homestand with a weekend series against Auburn, March 28-30.

Second in the country with a 2.85 ERA, the Aggie pitching staff has remained consistent after letting up an average of three runs in its last four games.

Sophomore LHP Justin Lamkin’s recent performance may be a sign of things tightening up. Lamkin was named SEC Pitcher of the Week after a career-high 12 strikeouts against the Bulldogs. His 7.1 innings were also a career high, and if he can continue pitching deep into games, the Maroon and White should have a certified ace on their hands.

Lamkin is part of the Aggies’ one-two punch with the other headliner being redshirt sophomore Ryan Prager. Prager is at the top of the A&M leaderboard with 49 strikeouts and a 0.74 WHIP, showcasing his electric stuff and blocking opponents from getting on base. The Maroon and White should continue relying on the southpaw duo combined with stints from an exceptional bullpen.

Junior RF Braden Montgomery has been outstanding in conference play, hitting four home runs in six games to tie sophomore CF Jace LaViolette’s team lead of 12 home runs. Not just an all-or-nothing hitter, Montgomery currently has more walks than strikeouts with 24 and 18, respectively. Also leading the team with a .846 slugging percentage, teams are afraid of Montgomery’s power, with Mississippi State opting to intentionally walk him rather than face him at the plate.

Montgomery hasn’t been at it alone; his slugging partner, freshman 3B Gavin Grahovac, also hit four home runs in six SEC games. Combined with his great glove in the hot corner, Grahovac has been playing beyond his years both on the plate and in the field.

Leading the team from behind the plate, senior C Jackson Appel has been raking with the bat as well. Second on the team with a .373 batting average, Appel has been allergic to strikeouts with a strikeout ratio of 17 to five. Those free bases are a big reason why he currently leads the team with a .543 on-base percentage.

The Tigers have been floundering in conference play, securing a record of 1-5. Junior RHP Chase Allsup is their No. 1 guy when it comes to innings pitched with 28.2, but he’s been lit up to the tune of a 6.59 ERA. Auburn’s other ace, junior RHP Conner McBride, has fared much better with a 2.38 ERA and a 0.97 WHIP. Auburn likes to go deep into its bullpen, so prepare for junior RHP Parker Carlson and junior John Armstrong to filter in and out during the game.

On offense, Auburn is led by the duo of senior LF Mason Maners and redshirt junior 1B Cooper McMurray. Maners is a top-tier contact hitter with a team-leading .364 batting average. A lightning quick player, Maners has the ability to beat out grounders, and A&M should be prepared to get the ball quickly to first base.

McMurray is the power counterpart, with a team-leading 1.318 OPS and 10 home runs. An all-around offensive threat, McMurray’s .505 OBP is the best in the starting lineup. Offensive output drops off in the back half of the lineup, so if the Aggie pictures get through the top, it should be smooth sailing from there.