Aggie students gather to protest university funding of Israeli weapons manufacturing in Academic Plaza on Monday, April 29, 2024.
Students gather at A&M gather for pro-Palestine protest, calling for university divestment
Ana Renfroe, Head News Editor • April 29, 2024

Hundreds of Texas A&M students protested the Israel-Hamas war and assembled in Academic Plaza, demanding A&M divest funds and denounce...

Texas A&M senior Daniel Rodrigues lines up the ball during The Aggie Invitational on Saturday, April 6, 2024, at Traditions Golf Club. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Slumped at the semis
Idani Cantu, Sports Editor • April 28, 2024

The No. 22 Texas A&M men’s golf team traveled to St. Simons Island, Georgia to compete in the 2024 SEC Championship in hopes of taking...

Incoming Blinn transfer recounts her Title IX experience
Nicholas GutteridgeApril 25, 2024

Editor’s note: This article contains detailed descriptions of sexual assault that may be uncomfortable to some readers. Reader discretion is...

Nervous about graduating? Opinion writer Nihan Iscan says there are great opportunities in not knowing your ideal career role. (File photo by Meredith Seaver)
Opinion: Embrace the unknown after graduation
Nihan Iscan, Opinion Writer • April 28, 2024

Graduation countdown has begun, and if you are anything like me, you're probably dealing with a whirlwind of emotions ranging from excitement...

Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall

No-more-than-four policy unfairly penalizes students in need of affordable housing
Photo by Austin Nguyen

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 

City Council,

As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration of the No-More-Than-Four policy.

Students are having an increasingly difficult time finding adequate housing in College Station. High rent, low student income and shortages in housing availability has led many students to split rent and live with more than four fellow Aggies.

At the same time, many longtime residents have voiced concerns about parking, trash, noise and other public nuisances. With a current enrollment of 77,000 students, more students are living in areas once dominated by families and longtime local residents. But the solution should not be to penalize the students for splitting rent.

Instead, we support the city’s continued efforts to regulate these using public nuisance laws that a growing population is bound to cause. Additionally, we encourage the City Council to reform their occupancy standards to reflect best practices and regulate occupancy through health and safety — not familial status like several Texas cities have already done or actively pursuing, such as Austin, Dallas, San Antonio and Houston

This policy would take into account the unique character of each home instead of a one-size-fits-all approach, that treats a 2-bedroom and a 5-bedroom house the same. Furthermore, it would limit the criminalization of Aggies, who for financial reasons, must live with a greater number of roommates, while at the same time addressing public safety concerns.

In these difficult economic times, we thank the City Council and University for their continued dialogue and assistance in creating a housing market that works for everyone. We also support the Student Senate Resolution 76-12, and Student Government Association’s statement on municipal priorities. We believe the reconsideration of No-More-Than-Four will lead to better outcomes for students, residents and the entire community.

United Together, the Fightin Texas Aggie Class of 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027:

Ben Crockett, Vice President of Municipal Affairs,

Andrew Applewhite, Student Body President, 

Caitlynn Walsh, Corps Commander

Tara Driskill, Big Event Director

Monse Westrup, MSC President, 

Troy Cavazos, IFC President, 

Cade Coppinger, Student Body President Elect, 

Riley Pritzlaff, RHA President,

Marcus Glass, Speaker of the 76th Senate, 

Ava Blackburn, Speaker of the 77th Senate, 

Klayton House, Deputy Corps Commander

Ben Fisher, Class of 24’ President, 

Will Rodriguez, Class of 25’ President, 

Colton Whisenant, Class of 26’ President, 

Duncan Polling, Class of 27’ President, 

Cole Sloan, Class of 27’ President elect, 

Corbitt Armstrong, Legislative Relations Chair, 

Cooper Brown, BCA President