ACL: One weekend down, one more to go

Alt-J
Provided
Alt-J

The Battalion Life & Arts writer Jack Riewe sums up a few of the highlights from Austin City Limits last weekend, while Battalion Life & Arts editor Katie Canales highlights the bands she’s most excited for in the second weekend.

LOOKING BACK

Alt-J

It’s been more than a year since “Alt-J” released their last Grammy-nominated album “This is All Yours,” meaning they’ve had time to perfect their live shows for the album. After touring extensively, “Alt-J” has become seasoned veterans to touring and playing in front of huge crowds. After seeing them for the second time during the first weekend of ACL, they had the audience captured in their experimental indie rock ways. As mentioned they have been touring for a while causing the lead singer’s voice to be a bit hoarse and the band to perform a bit lacklusterly.

Chance the Rapper

Despite being only 22, “Chance the Rapper” has made quite a name for himself by creating two mix tapes and a jazz and rap infused album. He has a huge cult following among college kids and a wide arsenal of popular songs. During weekend one, Chance got the whole crowd involved as everyone was singing along to his songs old and new. What really sets Chance apart from his rap kinfolk is his live band led by Donnie Trumpet, who gave the show a whole new element with his energetic horn.

The Weeknd

If you missed him last Sunday, next weekend is probably the best time in “The Weeknd’s” short career to see him live. The singer just released his second studio album and is at his peak in popularity right now. The crowd will be gigantic so make sure to get there early if you wish to get somewhat close to the stage. “The Weeknd” sang many songs from his first mixtape “The Trilogy” as well as new radio hits. He gave a captivating show with fireworks, and I was surprised by his stage presence as he was able to hold everyone’s attention through some of the slower r&b ballads.

LOOKING FORWARD

Florence + the Machine

From “Lungs” to “Ceremonials” and now to “How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful,” Florence Welch of “Florence + the Machine” has proved her voice can take her anywhere she wants to go. Gone are the tribal drums and soaring, ethereal vocals she is often known for. Her music has taken a turn for the minimalist — at least in comparison to Ceremonials. Tracks from “How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful” most likely to be played are “Mother” and “Ship To Wreck,” featuring more rock-based sounds instead of the otherworldly vibes her fans are used to feeling from her music. Despite the change, music from her new album will no doubt still be performed in typical Flo fashion — intensely and wholeheartedly.

Lord Huron

“Lord Huron” has nailed the 70s Western spirit ingrained in his music — You can practically feel the free mountain air while listening to his 2012 “Lonesome Dreams.” “Strange Trails” in 2015 followed suit with arguably more of a wild and adventurous energy, evident in tracks like “La Belle Fleur Savage,” yet the songs possess slightly more melancholia than his previous album. “Ends of the Earth” from his 2012 album will no doubt be included in the set, as well as “The Ghost On the Shore.” Prepare for a handful of ballads fused with folk tale zest.

Hozier

If it weren’t for a time and stage conflict between “Hozier” and “Florence + The Machine,” I would be able to witness first-hand the mesmerizing gospel-like music that is Hozier’s self-titled album. However, it’ll have to wait. The “Take Me To Church” artist is known for his stripped down performance style, even going as far as to record his song “Cherry Wine” in true folk fashion: outside, acoustically, bird chirps and all. “Hozier” knows how to genuinely present his music to his audience. With little distraction from vocalizers, his music and his voice are raw and true. Across the park from his heavenly voice, I’ll be straining to hear a tidbit if I can.